Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• smallholdingsister
    Options
    Oh. I thought it was a super duper thing.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning, if you're thinking of batch cooking in June, may I suggest borrowing Economy Gastronomy from the library. Written by Paul Merrett and Alegra (sorry her last name has escaped me)

I've used it often particularly when I did loads of match cooking. Helps prevent boredom imo.

Lovely to read your diary and see the progress you're making on multiple fronts.

Best wishes Tilly

Thank you, Tilly. :)

Will have a look if I can find it in the library catalogue as it's much appreciated. I have a few ideas but it would be good to add some more variety.
    It really does amaze me what some people categorise as wealth (an Xbox?).

Well done on getting the bathroom up and running so quickly, I always find any house improvements take longer than I think they will.

Have a lovely, well deserved, half term break.

It's ridiculous, isn't it. As it happens I think the father had made a comment about the history of the house and the scrapyard dodging comment but I think the child filled in the gaps in an attempt to upset my son. This particular child has said things to my son before (and to other children at the school). Fortunately, I don't think my son has really been affected. :)

Usually take longer here but this has taken much less time than expected. :eek: :D

Thank you. :)
    My children are poverty stricken because they have never been in a Macdonalds!!!

What is a standalone shower?

:rotfl: Neither has mine and he won't be going there with my wife or I.

Exactly what maman said. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Apologies for not updating before now. We've had a busy half term and I've had a really bad couple of nights the past few days (no idea why) so whist I've found the energy to participate in half term activities, I've not found the energy for anything else at all as can be seen in my May update. I'm not particularly well tonight as I've slept a total of 6 hours over the past three days. Anyhow, I wanted to update before going to bed. :) Staying positive and countering negative thoughts as they happen, though so a step in the right direction.

I will post up a bathroom update and I have not forgotten about responding to your PM, Karmacat. I usually mark such things as unread before replying but didn't and can only apologise for not replying in a prompt fashion.

May Targets:
    Days getting longer and summer only around the corner, May is the month to sell a no longer wanted classic, I think. Going to roll over into June. :o

Organise Whitsun holiday. 1. Trip to R.W. Been, it was fantastic and in-laws first time visiting but they really enjoyed it and we will be going again with them this summer. :) 2. Trip to the coast.Went to Sutton on Sea: walked on the beach,
    had dressed crab salad and went into the antiques shop with a visit to Horncastle on the way back. Great day out and could have stayed for a few days and spent a bit of time exploring the Wolds.
    3. Son baking with parents. Done!
    My parents were on their best behaviour apart from father getting very upset because he and mother didn't have the kind of relationship I have with my son. Things aren't too good for my father at the moment, despite him being physically ok. :(
    4. At least one quiet day dog walking etc.Happening tomorrow. 5. Swimming (thanks, Red Squirrel ). Been twice! :)
    Start work on the bathroom
    Well, more got done on this than I had ever imagined. :D
    Total Grocery Spend: £335 / £400.
    Surplus Money: £1,230 / £1,000. Going straight to the bathroom project.
    11.30pm bedtime: 12 / 31.:rotfl:
    Meditation: 13 / 31. Had meditated a couple of times but lost count.
    Schedule / Spreadsheets: 18 / 31. Lost count but I spent one evening really working on and improving the spreadsheets. :)
    De-clutter and Sell: 1 / 5 items.
    New Recipes: 1 / 4.
    Books read for pleasure: / 3. Hardly read at all but June is a new month ...
    Learn something new or refine a skill: 1. Continue learning and applying new knowledge to create more sophisticated and streamlined spreadsheets. Left this a bit last minute but really pleased with where I've got with my spreadsheets today upon looking / updating.Think this will need to carry over to next month, though .2. Learn a new piece of repertoire. Got about half way through. 3. Demolishing a bathroom and rebuilding it. :D:D:D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Apologies for not updating before now. We've had a busy half term and I've had a really bad couple of nights the past few days (no idea why) so whist I've found the energy to participate in half term activities, I've not found the energy for anything else at all as can be seen in my May update. I'm not particularly well tonight as I've slept a total of 6 hours over the past three days. Anyhow, I wanted to update before going to bed. :) Staying positive and countering negative thoughts as they happen, though so a step in the right direction.
    Alex, I think you've achieved a tremendous amount in May! You're not a robot, dontcha know :A
    I will post up a bathroom update and I have not forgotten about responding to your PM, Karmacat. I usually mark such things as unread before replying but didn't and can only apologise for not replying in a prompt fashion.
    Not a problem - good to know I didn't offend you, actually :o

The day to RW, the trip to the coast, dogwalking, swimming, bathroom renovation, under budget on grocery spends, and spreadsheet learning. All big plusses this month! Well done.
    My parents were on their best behaviour apart from father getting very upset because he and mother didn't have the kind of relationship I have with my son. Things aren't too good for my father at the moment, despite him being physically ok. :(
    That's very sad for your father, but it also shows how far *you've* come. And the sort of relationship you have with your son is built by *you* - you're obviously doing brilliantly.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Another apology for not updating. I've been struggling to sleep and not been well (lack of sleep, panic attacks). The "what ifs" and doubts have really set in as the reality of leaving my two voluntary positions is now apparent. I am really looking forward to my course but am very worried about it at the moment. Doing a lot of prep and now have been sent some things to work on for the course, so am doing prep for both myself and the course itself. I suppose the major concern is letting people down and the fact I have taken a place that if I fail could have been taken by someone else. Also been thinking about jobs and if I take a job, will I have taken a job from someone who really needs it (financially). My mother is also causing a lot of trouble (I am the reason for my father's problems).

I am also very anxious about the debt we have accrued for the bathroom. We are being careful to have a cheap month and hopefully pay £1,500 off this month.
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Alex, I think you've achieved a tremendous amount in May! You're not a robot, dontcha know :A

Not a problem - good to know I didn't offend you, actually :o

The day to RW, the trip to the coast, dogwalking, swimming, bathroom renovation, under budget on grocery spends, and spreadsheet learning. All big plusses this month! Well done.

That's very sad for your father, but it also shows how far *you've* come. And the sort of relationship you have with your son is built by *you* - you're obviously doing brilliantly.
    Save

Thank you. :) I often wish I could be a robot, Karma.

Of course you have not offended me. :)

Not managed to do much beyond dogwalking with my son this week. This weekend we are going to pick our first fish for the fishtank and do some baking but not a lot else planned. My mother tells me I am making my father ill and my parenting is an "insult". :(
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Good to see you posting Alex . I wasn't overly worried that we hadn't heard from you as l assumed you'd been busy having a good half term and then plunged back into everyday life.

First, what you've said about your mother sounds like illogical nonsense. So, unless I'm reading this wrongly, she's saying you should hide the fact that you're making a great job of bringing up LittleK because it's highlighting their shortcomings. I have a little sympathety because attitudes to parenting have changed a bit over the years but to blame you for doing a great job now is ridiculous.

As far as your various placements: I'd think that your voluntary roles are concerned they'd be pleased that their loss would be the profession's longer term gain. Please try to stop worrying about how you'll get on with teacher training. There's always an element of 'suck it and see' but now it seems that huge numbers try teaching and then decide it's not for them. There is a massive shortfall in recruitment so don't worry about taking anyone's place.

Relax!
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are struggling a bit just now Alex.

I have every faith in you that you will do exceptionally well as a teacher.

You have the qualities of person that the education system needs. Kind, trustworthy and honest.

I am sorry to hear your mother is giving you a hard time. My interpretation of the situation, and I might be well off the mark, is that your parents are very jealous of the relationship you have with your son. You and your wife are bring him up to be a son that you are both proud of and are encouraging him to be a "well rounded" boy with so many interests.

Please try not to allow their remarks to upset you, I know that is easier said than done. With the support of your wife and son you will get through this hurdle.

As for the debt I have every faith that it will be cleared before the 0% runs out. Just watch the figures reducing on your spreadsheets lol
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Firstly, you are going to be a fantastic teacher. Any error in the choice of you is most definitely not your responsibility. (WE all know that there was no error).

I know you don't want to hear this but is it possible that your father is showing early signs of dementia. I hope not for all your sakes. Dementia is a thief. It steals the person you know & I'll leave the rest for another day.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Not really sure how I've reached the 9th June without any targets for the month but I will have a think over this evening and make some targets for the remaining 20 days. :)

Managed to get a little more sleep last night and things seem a little brighter today, despite not being very well (caught some kind of cold type virus) and my mother trying to cause trouble. No anxiety / panic today, so that's a step in the right direction.
    maman wrote: »
    Thanks Good to see you posting Alex . I wasn't overly worried that we hadn't heard from you as l assumed you'd been busy having a good half term and then plunged back into everyday life.

First, what you've said about your mother sounds like illogical nonsense. So, unless I'm reading this wrongly, she's saying you should hide the fact that you're making a great job of bringing up LittleK because it's highlighting their shortcomings. I have a little sympathety because attitudes to parenting have changed a bit over the years but to blame you for doing a great job now is ridiculous.

As far as your various placements: I'd think that your voluntary roles are concerned they'd be pleased that their loss would be the profession's longer term gain. Please try to stop worrying about how you'll get on with teacher training. There's always an element of 'suck it and see' but now it seems that huge numbers try teaching and then decide it's not for them. There is a massive shortfall in recruitment so don't worry about taking anyone's place.

Relax!

We had a lovely half term, thank you. :) Sleep problems started then and I'm not sure why and I think that's the main cause of this week's blip.

My mother is blaming me because father is upset about the past. According to mother, it's my fault father is upset because if I had the same attitudes / priorities as they did he wouldn't be upset. She is quite angry at the moment and trying to cause a lot of trouble (said something very nasty to my wife yesterday and told me I've failed my son for my decision to send him to our local village school).

Both voluntary roles have been wonderful about me leaving (they knew it was coming as the primary one knew I was there to gain some experience ready for September and the other provided a reference). The primary one seems to think I'm well prepared and have "nothing to worry about", so I hope they are right. :)

I suppose sometimes I think it is perhaps unfair for me to apply for jobs when there are likely candidates that need the job more than I do. However, if I still feel the same way about teaching in 6 months time as I do now, I would really like to have a teaching job.
    kelpie35 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you are struggling a bit just now Alex.

I have every faith in you that you will do exceptionally well as a teacher.

You have the qualities of person that the education system needs. Kind, trustworthy and honest.

I am sorry to hear your mother is giving you a hard time. My interpretation of the situation, and I might be well off the mark, is that your parents are very jealous of the relationship you have with your son. You and your wife are bring him up to be a son that you are both proud of and are encouraging him to be a "well rounded" boy with so many interests.

Please try not to allow their remarks to upset you, I know that is easier said than done. With the support of your wife and son you will get through this hurdle.

As for the debt I have every faith that it will be cleared before the 0% runs out. Just watch the figures reducing on your spreadsheets lol

Thank you, kelpie. :)

I do hope things work out with teaching as it would be nice to have a career to focus on.

My mother is causing a lot of trouble at the moment and I do wonder if that's why things are difficult. Things aren't all bad, though. I think I've made the right decision to stay with my wife and she has really turned a corner. :)

I have a spreadsheet for the debt and have transferred a couple of £50 payments across just to see it going down. :)
    badmemory wrote: »
    Firstly, you are going to be a fantastic teacher. Any error in the choice of you is most definitely not your responsibility. (WE all know that there was no error).

I know you don't want to hear this but is it possible that your father is showing early signs of dementia. I hope not for all your sakes. Dementia is a thief. It steals the person you know & I'll leave the rest for another day.

Thank you, badmemory.

We are concerned about my father's memory and the potential of dementia. However, he's under the care of the medical profession and they are not as concerned. My mother is convinced otherwise and tests his mental arithmetic, verbal reasoning and short term memory on a daily basis. She spends time devising these tests and recording results including how many seconds to answer everyday. Father has told me he finds it stressful and doesn't think he needs to be tested on whether he can quickly recall 16x13 etc. quickly but my mother has convinced herself that she needs to do this everyday (last year she even did this on Christmas Day).
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Madmel
    Madmel Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Alex, I'm sorry your parents are giving you a hard time, I agree with everyone else though; you are parenting your son your way and I think they are jealous of the warm and loving relationship between you and LittleK as it highlights the fact that it isn't there a generation back.

Do NOT beat yourself up or walk away from your course. It will be tough and you will meet some awful kids. However, schools are crying out for decent teachers. You would not be denying anyone a job - schools cannot get people to fill them.

I'm not sure whether or not I have suggested this before (apologies if I am repeating myself but it's the end of a long week). Get yourself onto the TES forums (under Community on the main website). There is one called Thinking about Teaching and another for student teachers. Then have a browse of the jobs. I think you'll be amazing, if you want to come to visit a different secondary music department, please PM me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure