PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Softstuff - you're leaving me totally breathless! Don't know how you manage all that energy I've been in CBA mode for too long!
    Forgot to add - if they offer you the job would it be worth you taking it to get the experience while you look for something else??
    Hester - hoping you and L&M can find a good way forward
    I don't always have energy, don't worry. I have bursts of activity then slouch on the sofa for a while!

As for the job, if I'm offered it just locally I'll certainly take it, but I can't do the distance one, it isn't bus-able and we've only got 1 car. It's not worth getting a car for moneywise.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Monna - completely understand, it suits some but not others - I'm not sure I would like it either x I believe in whatever is for you will not pass you by :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mila, SS, Greenbee and anyone else enjoying the company of workmen as house guests: you are all brave people. Hang on in there, keep your mind on the outcome, keep your teeth gritted, keep the thought of what it is all costing buried and try to smile when the thousandth person tells you, "It will be lovely when it's finished."

Mar: stay warm and as comfortable as possible. To be fair, the family have never seen me as a handy babysitter, they have very rarely asked me to do anything. My reluctance to live with them is entirely due to my loving my independence and determination to preserve it as long as possible.

Silvasava: I'm sure the time will come when I need to be in sheltered housing but PLEASE. NOT YET.

Islandmaid: I have always believed that when you need something like a house the right one will turn up. I have always found that it works for me.
    I decided to buy my old cottage before I'd even seen inside it. My friend who was with me was appalled.
    The next house that I really wanted because it was so perfect I missed out on because someone pipped me to the post. I bought one nearby but was bitterly disappointed. I heard later that the house I missed out on had a million things wrong with it and it was over a year before the owners could move in. Phew! What an escape.
    This house is one of about 5 houses I looked at in one day and the minute I walked into it it felt like home.
    I'm sure that will happen again.

I'm so excited!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Monnagran, sheltered housing isn't inevitable, a friend of mine is 87 this year. Last year she moved in with her daughter. It didn't last, she hated it, so she's back in her own flat now and fully independent. She doesn't like being told what to do and thinks she's old enough to do as she pleases.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No one tells you what to do in sheltered housing it is just in case. If you do get told what to do it is most likely you are being inconsiderate to your neighbours.

I never thought, when running a nursing home, that I would have to ban music before 8am until I had a resident who played heavy metal at 5am and in Welsh as well. I thought with them all being over 80 they would have learned better.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Softsruff: Bully for your friend. I hope and pray that I will take after my father who lived in his own home, in his own idiosyncratic way, to his own inflexible timetable until he was 96.
    I'm not overkeen on living too long, but like your friend I like to live in my own way, make my own decisions and if the rest of the world doesn't approve, well, isn't that just
    too bad?

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good luck wishes to SS both with the builders and the job . I hope the latter can fit with your travel problems .
    You're in my candle Monna , like yourself I trust in the universe to come up with the right solution . Good luck .
    NM You made me laugh with the heavy metal . You never imagine what goes on behind closed doors ! Hope you and ds are ok .
    Mar Take care of yourself love you're in my candle too .
    Take care all
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    Heavy metal n Welsh. :eek: Lol!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    monna, I want to be like you! I hope you find something 'just right', I agree with knowing that you will be happy in a house just by walking through the door.

I hope you poorlies feel better soon, rotten feeling under the weather.

I have a fantastic builder, it's just getting him here is the problem. Well, he calls in a lot for tea and a chat but work is another matter!
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Morning all,

Lots of builders afoot!

Nursmaggie :rotfl: I' sure it was irritating for you at the time, but I do hope I've still got some life and spirit in me at that age.

Work is still absolutely full throttle. I have until next Wednesday to finish this task. I have no idea if I'm on track or not so I'll just keep working as hard as I can and we'll see at the end! I'm also teaching new things this year and I like to make sure I'm current on all of the details so I'm doing a bit of extra reading etc..in my spare time, you see. ;)

I don't think OH enjoyed the salmon parcels last night, so they won't be repeated--unless I'm on my own one evening as I thought they were delicious. I'll use some of the leftover ingredients in some pasta for my lunch and then I think we're having baked sweet potatoes, hummus and salad for tea. I have craft group tonight but I may not make it--it may be nice to get out and do something relaxing but I may be too shattered by then. I'll make my mind up while I'm at the gym. My walk yesterday was the first one of the year where I needed a coat--the weather has now properly turned. It also doused my nearly dry washing, just to keep me on my toes!

Hugs to all who need them.x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport