PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tannin stain on teacups

Options
I have been using value washing powder in my dishwasher for six months now without any problems apart from my teacups - I cannot get the tannin stain out of them without either doing it manually or soaking in bleach.
Is there an OS way of getting the tannin stains off my china?
Valerie

Comments

• Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rubbing with fine salt on a damp cloth is good. If you want something less manual then you could try denture tablets - method is here:
    http://interiordec.about.com/od/chinaandcrystal/ht/cleanteapot.htm
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Soaking overnight in biological washing powder also does the trick - save up a batch of cups and a teapot. Needs rinsing very well though!!!!!!!!!!
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just use proper dishwasher detergent in the first place? :confused:
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Options
    lemon juice (just use what's left over) is quite good also with a little bit of washing up liquid - makes them smell awfully nice too
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dry bicarb soda, rub it in and it'll vanish! This works in teapots too...
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We used to use the Oxy powder, and it seemed to work well. I used to work with a woman who refused to clean her tupperware teacup - she drank black tea every day and the cup wasn't even rinsed, just wiped out. Once every six months she would grudgingly agree to us cleaning her cup, and then once it was clean she'd moan that the tea didn't taste as good lol.
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gingernutmeg - do you work at the same place as me, cos I've got a colleague that does exactly the same :eek:
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Nail polish remover will work too, dip a tissue or some cotton wool in it and wipe it away - rinse with plain water afterwards though!
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • csarinaknight
    Options
    Its not very os I know but lakeland do a magic eraser block, its 2.99 but it gets stains off all sorts of things, I cut mine into wedges and a block last me about a year. We rink both black tea and coffee, I do the cups etc a couple of times a week...........have not tried it on melamine though so cannot say if it works on that.
    September grocery budget........trying for £80, not sure if I will make it though!!!!! I certainly did not last month, lost track of the final bill. Will do better this month honest.

Tesco £57.13
    Petrol £10.00
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Denture tablets I always use for cleaning cups, same as my Gran always used. Have used bicarb which works well. Never tried lemon juice myself.

Magic eraser blocks £1 shop do a version :) Tesco do a cheaper version too, I find they all work well.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure