Do I close my credit card account?

I have been trying to repair my credit file, and got a Vanquis card at a stupid APR, I used it for petrol and then cleared it so it never got a large balance, however they kept upping the limit to £3.5k.

I have now got a Barclaycard with a slightly better APR which I will use instead, my question is what do I do with the Vanquis card, is it better to close it so I have another "settled" on my file, or leave it open with £3.5K showing as available to me as I read somewhere its good to have a lot of credit offered but not taken.

TIA

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi,
    Its a card with a stupid APR, i would close it, why do you care so much what your credit file may look like ?

Are you looking to take further borrowing ?
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • Pixie5740Pixie5740 Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Close the account down. Firstly, the APR is ridiculous and secondly, having lots of available credit showing on your file is a negative factor.
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,
    Its a card with a stupid APR, i would close it, why do you care so much what your credit file may look like ?

Are you looking to take further borrowing ?

Alas things are never that simple, I have no intention to borrow again, I don't need to as my finances are now sorted and I have savings etc (I learnt half the battle was getting out of debt, the other half has been staying that way) however like most people I have a mortgage so would be looking to remortgage that at some point, and then upgrade to a bigger house
  • Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Close the account down. Firstly, the APR is ridiculous and secondly, having lots of available credit showing on your file is a negative factor.

Thanks thats what I wanted clarifying
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals