bankruptcy and home advice

Hi
not sure this is posted in the correct place -

I am on the verge of bankruptcy .

I understand that they will be looking at equity in my home , which is mortgaged and in both me and my wifes names. My mother in law has lived with us for about 10 years, in an annexe to our main property ,that she funded herself from the sale of her property .

my question is whether she would have any legal standing or claim on our property when it comes to assessing the equity left in the home ?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Is she on the deeds?

Even without being on the deeds, I would say she has a claim given that she funded a percentage of the purchase price.

Is it mortgaged? If it is, whose name is on the mortgage? Did you need to complete any declarations (regarding her contribution) when you took the mortgage?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • thanks for the reply

she is not on the deeds.

the property is mortgaged in mine and the wifes name .

I dont recall any declarations being made but will check .
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi there,

Welcome to MSE

Bankruptcy can be a complicated topic, especially when property is involved. The level of equity in a property will largely affect the way it is dealt with as part of the bankruptcy.

From what you have described, your mother in law may have accrued a ‘Beneficial Interest’ in your home, even though she is not named on the deeds. This is because of the money that she has invested within the property to help develop it. This can be relevant in insolvency options such as bankruptcy, but you would need legal advice about the implications of this ‘interest’ outside of the bankruptcy.

Beneficial Interest is calculated by the Official Receiver and would determine a money value within the property. It may mean that you don’t have as much equity as you think and this may impact on how the property is dealt with in the bankruptcy. The Official Receiver can investigate the last 5 years of transactions, so the development of the property/ annexe is likely to be discussed at some point.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure