PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Saving Money OS. 50p pieces

Options
My Dad saved his change in a jar before he died. Anyone know what on earth I can do with a load of the old style 50p pieces, including some Irish ones.

Ta in advance,.
Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!

Comments

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My Mum did the same and I found some the other day. Just take them in to any bank and they will give you " real " 50p to spend. I had 10p 20p and loads of 50p. The girl in the bank said it was ok as long as they can work out what the coin was. :j
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow, thanks! didnt think I could do that. Which bank did you take them to?

Thanks!
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When my son got an old 50p in his change we took it to our local bank (ROyal Bank of Scotland). They told us that banks take these coins, but only in bags of £20 - not much good to us, but as a special case they gave him a new one!
    So just bag them up and pay into your bank account!

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used my local branch of the Bank of Scotland ( Halifax). They gave me £4.80 in cash for the coins and gave me back the 3 old 1 shilling pieces as they don't take them.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Special ones sometimes get more for the value on the likes of Ebay and from collectors http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=old+50p

From Royal Mint website

How can I dispose of demonetised coin?

Several months advance notice is provided before a coin is demonetised (i.e. it is no longer legal tender). This happened, for example, when the new, smaller 5p and 10p were introduced in 1990 and 1992 respectively and the old, larger versions of these coins were withdrawn from circulation. However, once a coin has been demonetised, banks are under no obligation to accept them. Nevertheless, many banks will accept demonetised coins from members of the public providing they have a bank account with them. Policy may vary from bank to bank, and some may charge a handling fee.
    If the coins are in good condition, it also worth considering approaching a coin dealer who may be prepared to offer more than face value. It should be possible for you to locate a coin dealer by contacting the British Numismatic Trade Association. You can visit their website at: www.numis.co.uk/bnta.html
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This reminds me of years ago when my elderly neighbour passed away, her daughter discovered just over £17,000 in old notes, £1's, £5's etc all over the house. She spoke to the bank who arranged for them to be taken in and examined and they exchanged it for new money! What a find huh!
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    jo1972 wrote: »
    This reminds me of years ago when my elderly neighbour passed away, her daughter discovered just over £17,000 in old notes, £1's, £5's etc all over the house. She spoke to the bank who arranged for them to be taken in and examined and they exchanged it for new money! What a find huh!

what a great find
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure