Trainline 20% off..that isnt !

Options
Got an email from Trainline.com with an offer of 20% off my next train fare north, did lots of searching and found what I thought was a bargain fare to York, had to input my special code and got a total price for two of £68.80 saving me almost £120. Im not able to select seats but they allocate them. Sooooo....went straight to the Grand central site...booked the exact same journey...was able to select 2 nice window and table seats...sadly no 20% off code though....total price....tada...£68.80 !!!!!!!!!

Never believe anything you get in an email :)

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    malofkent wrote: »
    Got an email from Trainline.com with an offer of 20% off my next train fare north, did lots of searching and found what I thought was a bargain fare to York, had to input my special code and got a total price for two of £68.80 saving me almost £120. Im not able to select seats but they allocate them. Sooooo....went straight to the Grand central site...booked the exact same journey...was able to select 2 nice window and table seats...sadly no 20% off code though....total price....tada...£68.80 !!!!!!!!!

Never believe anything you get in an email :)

NSS.... martins fav new phrase
  • malofkent
    Options
    in fact....just noticed that Trainline would have charged a booking fee but Grand central don't....so its actually a tiny bit cheaper to NOT use the 20% off code. Is it any wonder we are all defensive about such offers.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't understand why anyone would ever use trainline.com and pay a booking fee, when you can book any journey through one of the operating companies such as East Coast etc-which charge no fee.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • smjxm09
    smjxm09 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I travel a lot with Virgin and Trainline always has the dearest fares when you add the booking fees. Don't know why anyone would use this company when booking direct with a train company is always cheaper.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Simply, I suspect, because many people think that the regional rail co's can only sell tickets for their own services. and due to trainline.com's heavy advertising spend.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport