Keep Overspending on food

Options
124»

Comments

• Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the biggest savings you can make is by substituting big name brands by own label products. Make an effort to try one new own label each week and if you like it then change permanently. The price difference can be staggering and the quality is often no different. The reason you often get the big brands on Bogoff is they have such a large profit margin in the first place.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Nobbie1967 wrote: »
    I think the biggest savings you can make is by substituting big name brands by own label products. Make an effort to try one new own label each week and if you like it then change permanently. The price difference can be staggering and the quality is often no different. The reason you often get the big brands on Bogoff is they have such a large profit margin in the first place.

otherwise know as the "downshift challenge" :)
  • rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    switch supermarkets.

meal plan.

write a list and stick to it.

try to compare prices on mysupermarket, or keep track of what you usually spend and see what you can switch out to keep you in budget.

my DH is the most fussy of pants, and I've really made progress in winning him round. Take him shopping with you, do it together, and make a 'game' of sticking to your budget.
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
  • amycollins1977
    Options
    I'm reading this thread with interest. I too really over spend at the moment (started Slimming World recently and finding the food expensive!)
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm reading this thread with interest. I too really over spend at the moment (started Slimming World recently and finding the food expensive!)

I do Slimming World too, just done a full shop at Aldi, £52. This included, shoulder of pork, whole large chicken, 6 chicken breasts, 2 packs of bacon, 2 packs of ham, 15 eggs, green beans, 4 tins of baked beans, 3 tins of tomatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, bananas, clementines, grapes, 2 packs of blueberries, 6 kiwis, dried pasta, rice, cauliflower, 2.5 kilo potatoes, swede, carrots, chillies. Plus, other household stuff, cleaning etc.

It doesn't have to be expensive but it will be if you shop at any of the big supermarkets.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    I do Slimming World too, just done a full shop at Aldi, £52. This included, shoulder of pork, whole large chicken, 6 chicken breasts, 2 packs of bacon, 2 packs of ham, 15 eggs, green beans, 4 tins of baked beans, 3 tins of tomatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, bananas, clementines, grapes, 2 packs of blueberries, 6 kiwis, dried pasta, rice, cauliflower, 2.5 kilo potatoes, swede, carrots, chillies. Plus, other household stuff, cleaning etc.

It doesn't have to be expensive but it will be if you shop at any of the big supermarkets.

I'm doing SW too (have been for four years) and I can manage easily on £50 a week for two (not including wine as that's entertainment;)). I mostly shop at Aldi too. You'd be welcome over on the SW thread where lots of us post menus.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5142695
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Having done SW, it works better for me if I stick to foods from the general free list and not branded things. I will only buy Muller if on SO.

What OH and I have learned is that we don't need to eat meat every day, and we don't need so much when we do. A120g portion is plenty, and is the amount recommended in loads of guides. :)
    Home improvement payments £16.8K to go

May Grocery Challenge: £50.08/250

Decluttering 958/2024 Awards 🥇
    (06/05/24)
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Muller are always on special offer ! I'm addicted to the Skinny Cappucino ones, they're delicious with blueberries. My fav SW meal is Pasta Puttanesca, no meat at all !
  • Mrs_Rachel_Trelfa
    Options
    I'm probably going to get stick for saying what I am about to but I've never been impressed with the fruit and veg in Aldi. If I go in there I find that the food is mushy, soft and going bad.

My husband and I budget £100 a month which splits as £80 for asda and £20 for buying home grown pork, lamb, bacon, gammon, sausages. But I also can spend 2 hours doing the shop as I'm after the yellow stickered items.

We do our monthly shop and only top up for milk or any urgent items. That's monthly fruit and vegetables. One of the tips I would suggest is knowing how to store them, I.e. out of the plastic wrapping and a lot in the fridge as they last much longer. Also as others have suggested is recognising when things need using up and create meals so not to cause waste which means sometimes some random meals.

The other thing I would say is that my slow cooker is a godsend. Chucking it on before I go to work, using up anything that needs to be used, and knowing that I don't have to cook when I get home.
    House purchased November 2013
    Original MF Date: January 2045 - £104,400
    Current MF Date: April 2030- £48,719. 75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills