Providing free drink at your wedding?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Anatidaephobia
    Options
    Jolene89 wrote: »
    Fianc! and I have decided to only provide an arrival drink of prosecco to the ceremony guests when we reach the reception. Is that too tight? I've genuinely never been to a wedding with anything over than a pay bar, so to be honest, feel a bit miffed about paying for drink anyway, but that's just the experience I've had, what does everyone reckon? It's going to cost us £450 just to provide the one drink but that's a huge chunk of our entire £8,000 budget - so opinions please?

An arrival drink will be completely fine :) Don't worry about being tight; your friends are coming to celebrate your day with you, not to score free drinks.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,845 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would not expect to invite friends and family to any party, gathering, meal or wedding and expect them to pay for their drinks, if I could not afford the drink I would make the wedding/party smaller.

I have never been to a wedding and had to pay for a drink or to a party at my friends homes, to me it's the same thing. I would rather do without the favours, the wedding cars, and other frivolaties and provide my guests with the hospitality they deserve!

I have also never been at a wedding where the guests get wasted or leave their fag ends floating in pints of beer as described here.
  • King_Slayer
    King_Slayer Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ognum wrote: »
    I would not expect to invite friends and family to any party, gathering, meal or wedding and expect them to pay for their drinks, if I could not afford the drink I would make the wedding/party smaller.

I have never been to a wedding and had to pay for a drink or to a party at my friends homes, to me it's the same thing. I would rather do without the favours, the wedding cars, and other frivolaties and provide my guests with the hospitality they deserve!

I have also never been at a wedding where the guests get wasted or leave their fag ends floating in pints of beer as described here.

Or there's always the option to marry abroad and not have to pay for drinks for guest. Have a Wedding Moon!! :D
  • campfire_dreamer
    Options
    Most weddings I've been to have had wine and water provided on the table, but then either no more drinks (no bar at venue) or you could pay for more drinks if you wanted to. That's what we're doing for ours, we checked the prices at the bar and they were reasonable, the hall we're hiring also sourced enough wine for all our guests for about £180. Personally, I feel privileged when I get invited to a wedding, (especially since I now appreciate how much everything costs!) and I don't mind paying for drinks myself. In my opinion you should be there to celebrate the wedding of your relative/friend (the way they want to and can afford to do it, not the way you think they should do it!) and not just to get smashed at their expense! Although if you're expecting guests to buy their own, it's best to mention it somehow I reckon (we put a little note on our wedding website), because I've been to a couple of places where the bar doesn't take cards and there's no cash machine for miles.
    So basically, do what you want and can afford to do! It took me a while to get this because everyone (especially family members!) want you to do things the way they think you should - but it's your day and you should do what you want and can afford, who cares if a couple of people don't approve, their loss! :P
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ya.you can provide drink during wedding

if you are intersted in bridal make up .you can contact charumathi and view our link studiomakeover.in
    Totally irrelevant spam reported.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport