We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Consentr to Lease - what to do next???
scoops82
Posts: 247 Forumite
Hi
I am not sure what to do for the best so any advice would be welcome. I have a flat that I paid £88k in 2006 but is probably now worth only £80k. The current O/S mortgage is £76.5k as the mortgage is interest only.
I have since moved into a house with my partner but as I couldn't afford to take a loss on the flat the mortgage provider agreed to a consent to lease for 3 years. I have a tenent at the moment who is no trouble and I the rent easily covers the IO mortgage payments.
Should I start by trying to overpay and bring the balance down - even though its unlikely I can reduce it enough to a 75% LTV BTL mortgage once the consent to let ceases. Will I be worse off by making payments now if I only have to sell the flat later?
Is a consent to let likely to be extended or are mortgage companies quite rigid on these rules?
Thanks in advance
S
I am not sure what to do for the best so any advice would be welcome. I have a flat that I paid £88k in 2006 but is probably now worth only £80k. The current O/S mortgage is £76.5k as the mortgage is interest only.
I have since moved into a house with my partner but as I couldn't afford to take a loss on the flat the mortgage provider agreed to a consent to lease for 3 years. I have a tenent at the moment who is no trouble and I the rent easily covers the IO mortgage payments.
Should I start by trying to overpay and bring the balance down - even though its unlikely I can reduce it enough to a 75% LTV BTL mortgage once the consent to let ceases. Will I be worse off by making payments now if I only have to sell the flat later?
Is a consent to let likely to be extended or are mortgage companies quite rigid on these rules?
Thanks in advance
S
Scoops 
0
Comments
-
The lender may well impose an interest loading. If the venture isn't profitable then it may be worth looking to sell up. Bite the bullet on the loss. Holding onto a poorly performing investment is human nature.0
-
Consent to let is a short term solution which is most likely reflected in your consent notification.
If you can afford to put together cash to pay down your mortgage to 75% of the value it is a good idea to do so.
This will give you the flexibility you need should you need to change lenders, or product at a later date.I am a Mortgage Broker
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
The flat I bought was to live in and wasn't intended to be a BTL.
I am currently paying a fee to revert my residential mortgage into a consent let, It generates about £2.5k income per year including all fees/charges apart from its only making IO payments.
My head tells me to try a and keep as much as its possible as It will provide a good rental income when I am older or If I can hold it for twenty years it should at least go up in value and its not costing me at the moment.
I'm assuming at the end of the 3 year consent to lease they can force my hand into finding equity to reduce the loan to an amount that I can get a BTL mortgage for or I would have to sell it - is that true?
At the same time the mortgage on my house is at a more expensive rate as I have 2 properties.
Any advice is welcome.
SScoops
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
