We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Joint mortgage; one income

Hello

We're about to move house and are looking at what mortgages to go for. My husband works full time; I took redundancy last year while on maternity leave and am now at home looking after the children full time. I do also run my own kitchen table business but it's a negligible income (at the moment!).

My credit score is very good (just had a look at Experian, 999) and I of course want to be included on the mortage. When we're filling in the forms, how do I explain that the redundancy pay is what is contributing to the monthly finances? I received a large payout and we decided to use a percentage of it every month to help us through the next few years on one income. Do I call it my 'income'? Will it harm our chances of being accepted doing it like this?

Thanks
Sarah
Debt cleared! [strike]£13,128[/strike] £0!!!
Saving for maternity leave: £3,300/£3500
'Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.' Michael Pollan

Comments

  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,509 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Enter £0 income for you and note you are a homemaker.

    His income will need to be sufficient to evidence affordability for a joint mortgage with you as non-working and the dependents.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Drawing from your savings is not income.

    You will only be able to use the one salary.
    I am a Financial Adviser specialising in Mortgages, Protection, Health and Medical Insurance. I also write wills. All information posted on this site is for discussion only, and should not be taken as advice.
  • sarahs999
    sarahs999 Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    OK, so we apply jointly but say my income is £0?
    Debt cleared! [strike]£13,128[/strike] £0!!!
    Saving for maternity leave: £3,300/£3500
    'Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.' Michael Pollan
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,509 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes. If the affordability fits.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • sarahs999
    sarahs999 Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    Thanks. We would need to borrow £117k; household income is £55k. Do they still look at multiples of income to decide your suitability or is it something else now? Ages since we had a new mortgage. We have no other debts, btw.
    Debt cleared! [strike]£13,128[/strike] £0!!!
    Saving for maternity leave: £3,300/£3500
    'Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.' Michael Pollan
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,509 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Depends on overall case.

    Mortgage term, number of dependents, outgoings etc.

    Only way to find out is to enter the details in your chosen lender's affordability calculator.

    Income multiples are pretty much a thing of the past, used only as a "broad brush."
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.