We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
4.5x salary for professional, with complications...
rubuhoeikanaika
Posts: 262 Forumite
Hi all,
I'm an academic who started this academic year (in Sept) and earn just under £40k. I have about £130/month in student loans. I'd like to get a mortgage for £180k or so, which is just over 4.5x salary. I know this sounds crazy, but...
I'm an academic who started this academic year (in Sept) and earn just under £40k. I have about £130/month in student loans. I'd like to get a mortgage for £180k or so, which is just over 4.5x salary. I know this sounds crazy, but...
- As an academic I'm on a salary spine, so I'm looking at pay rises of about £1k per year, plus inflation. (I should also go up a grade in about 5-6 years.) Does anyone know whether the scottish widows professional pensions are open to academics, or if there are any other such?
- My wife has a decent income from family inherited rental houses abroad... comes to about £1500 a month. But much of it is in various complicated forms, and so we were thinking it might be simpler to get a mortgage in my own name only. As someone who grew up pretty poor, I also don't 'trust' this income.
- But this does mean that affordability is much better than it looks -- at the moment we are saving all that income for a deposit, and should have £20k by the summer.
0
Comments
-
To be treated as a Professional you need to be registered with the General Teaching Council.
4.5 x income will be your limit but there is an affordability calculation on top of this which your student loan will impact (and it sounds like you are paying less currently than you should be).
Take the advice of someone who does mortgages for Professionals every day and engage a broker who specialises in Professionals cases.I am a Mortgage Broker
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
Thanks for the advice, but I'm puzzled by some of the things you said:To be treated as a Professional you need to be registered with the General Teaching Council.
I suppose that's my question -- as far as I can tell, academics (uni teachers) don't register with that council, which is for school teachers, right? Do SW or any other organisation do professional mortgages for academics?4.5 x income will be your limit but there is an affordability calculation on top of this which your student loan will impact (and it sounds like you are paying less currently than you should be).
Agreed about the affordability, but what makes you say that I'm paying less than I should be? Just ran my income through the calculator, and it comes bang on at the actual amount (about £140 not £130, sorry).Take the advice of someone who does mortgages for Professionals every day and engage a broker who specialises in Professionals cases.
Of course I will have to get a broker down the line, but since we are far off having a deposit saved, I'm just wondering in general terms.0 -
To be treated as a Professional you need to be registered with the General Teaching Council.
This is news to me. So, even though I am a university academic in a permanent research and teaching role I'm not a 'professional' because I am not registered with this organisation?
Interesting.
OP, I had no problems getting a mortgage. I took out 4 x salary but they would have lent me 4.5 x salary.0 -
rubuhoeikanaika wrote: »Do SW or any other organisation do professional mortgages for academics?
I am not sure what a 'professional mortgage' is. (Do you mean preferential terms?). In my search for my own mortgage I haven't come across a lender who discriminates against academics in any way. I had the pick of the top deals at the time. (I had been in my permament role less than six months when I applied.)
You are an employee who works at a university. Shouldn't be a problem at all.0 -
SternMusik wrote: »I am not sure what a 'professional mortgage' is. (Do you mean preferential terms?). In my search for my own mortgage I haven't come across a lender who discriminates against academics in any way. I had the pick of the top deals at the time. (I had been in my permament role less than six months when I applied.)
You are an employee who works at a university. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
I'm afraid to say that you don't seem to know what you're talking about on this one. Some lenders do mortgages for certain professions only. The main example I can find is Scottish Widows:
http://www.scottishwidows.co.uk/bank/mortgages/prof_intro.html0 -
rubuhoeikanaika wrote: »I'm afraid to say that you don't seem to know what you're talking about on this one. Some lenders do mortgages for certain professions only. The main example I can find is Scottish Widows:
http://www.scottishwidows.co.uk/bank/mortgages/prof_intro.html
This sounds just like a normal offset mortgage? They seem to offer slightly lower interest rates on their 'professional' range compared to their 'flexible' range which seems to be for everyone.
What I am trying to say is you don't need a 'professional' mortgage (whatever that means). You just need a mortgage. A broker will be able to advise you which are the best deals out there that are available to you.0 -
Our OP may be able to get higher lending by utilising a product specifically aimed at 'professional' applicants provided they meet the lenders definition of a professional.I am a Mortgage Broker
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
