We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lender Insisting they are noted on Buildings Insurance

Good Morning

My mortgage lender has insisted that they are noted as an interested party on my buildings insurance. Can they do this?

I have had the same mortgage for 10 years plus and to my shame had lazily always had my insurance via them, but with the help of this site I realised my costly error.

I had my new policy approved and verbal confirmation of cancellation of my old policy given by my lender. But now the lender has written insisting that they are noted as an interested party.

The new Insurer I selected does not do this. I have now passed the date of free cancellation mainly because of my Lender choosing to respond to the emails I was asked to send to them via letter.

I have gone through my mortgage policy and cannot see any reference to them requiring this. Conditions appear to just be that they must approve the policy and I must have one.

Can they now add this additional condition?

Thank you

Comments

  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    It's normal for a lender to require its interest noted. This is the only way it will;-

    find out if you stop paying the premiums
    stop you disappearing off to Brazil with the policy proceeds leaving a smoking heap of embers where its security used to stand.

    The aggregator brigade of insurers intent on the rush to the top in terms of cost, to the bottom in terms of quality, don't want to do things like this. It means additional work.

    They want the low hanging fruit of easy business they can put in force on the day of quoting.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.