We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

3 Year Plan, Buy to Lets and Re-mortgaging.. Help needed..

Hi Everyone,

Just signed up and seen how useful this forum is.:)

However I’m in need of some help regarding my current situation and my proposed 3 year plan.

I currently live in my flat which I purchased for £102000 with an LTV of 85% 2 years ago. When I purchased the property I got a 3 year fixed mortgage which runs out in December this year. My dilemma is that the property value has increased to around £125-130,000 and want to release equity to help fund another purchase or possibly put this on a buy to let getting the LTV down to 75%.

My 3 year plan is to purchase another flat for around the same value with the released equity and savings, put the flat I currently own on a buy to let and save with my girlfriend for a deposit for our own house which will take around the 3 years mark from this month.

I earn close to the £40k mark. I know it’s hard to answer but I wanted to get people’s views on this and whether they think the release in equity is a wise move and how would I go about it?

Would a new mortgage at the end of the year affect my plans to move in with my girlfriend in 3 years, would it affect my plans to put a deposit down on a flat between this period.

Basically I would like to know how other people would approach this plan, with regards to mortgages, length of fixed/variable mortgages, releasing equity to fund an investment, and moving property to buy to lets.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded and confusing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

  • How much savings will you put into the new purchase or are you planning on funding the deposit for the second home purely by the £7-9K equity you could release from the current property?

    How much will you be able to rent the flat out and how much will the new mortgage payments be, assuming your lender gives consent to let and allows the release in equity?

    Do the numbers, best case and worse case, including voids, repairs, re-decorations, associated Landlord costs, agent fees and income tax....does the nett profit seem worth it for the additional risk?

    Also way up the possible lower mortgage payments to remortgage with another lender for a lower rate as your new LTV will be less than 70%.

    Also think about your current and long term life plan, you could remortgage in December to a LTV less than 70% or LTV of 75% and another mortgage at 95%.
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • Hi thanks for the reply.

    I thought Id be able to release a bit more than that, say 15-20k in December once my 3 year fixed rate runs out. I would also put around 15k towards it in savings with the intention of buying a flat for around £130000. Rental income would be between £650 and £750 a month.

    The flat I live in my mortgage payments are 430 a month at a rate of 4.29%.

    Do you think this is feasible and will I have to remortgage in December when the 3 year fixed is up? What are my best options.

    Thanks.

    Dan
  • Are you actually an SSM?
    I am a Financial Adviser specialising in Mortgages, Protection, Health and Medical Insurance. I also write wills. All information posted on this site is for discussion only, and should not be taken as advice.
  • That's an abbreviated company name.
  • Worst case based on your figures, the lender agrees that your flat is worth £125,000, so you'll need maximum 75% LTV, mortgage of £93,750.00 if you want a BTL.

    If your current mortgage is £86,000 at the moment then you will only be able to pull £7750 out of the equity. Add 10 months of capital repayments, add another £1000-£1500. Add arrangement/legal fees.

    Speak to a broker, as they may have other ideas.
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.