We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
BTL lending affecting new mortgage application
mrsbooster123
Posts: 3 Newbie
Hi there,
I am currently applying for a new residential mortgage and have today been told that my borrowing on my 3 BTL properties may mean the lender is unable to lend to us.
All 3 BTL's are rented and self-sufficient and two of these are with the lender we are trying to get a new residential mortgage with.
Has anybody experienced this before? I have always been told that providing they are self-servicing - BTL borrowing is discounted from any affordability/allowance.
Feeling stressed!
Thanks
I am currently applying for a new residential mortgage and have today been told that my borrowing on my 3 BTL properties may mean the lender is unable to lend to us.
All 3 BTL's are rented and self-sufficient and two of these are with the lender we are trying to get a new residential mortgage with.
Has anybody experienced this before? I have always been told that providing they are self-servicing - BTL borrowing is discounted from any affordability/allowance.
Feeling stressed!
Thanks
0
Comments
-
What Loan to Value are you applying for?
Which lender?I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
That depends on the lender from which you wish to borrow.mrsbooster123 wrote: »I have always been told that providing they are self-servicing - BTL borrowing is discounted from any affordability/allowance
Some are easier on such situations, some aren't.
Please answer GMS's questions and tell us this is being dealt with by a broker...I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.0 -
You may consider then self financing, the lender may not. Happy days.0
-
There are so many snags in this type of arrangement when trying to raise new lending that you should be using a broker.I am a Mortgage Broker
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
AFAIK, some lenders restrict the number of properties or value of mortgage you can hold with them at any one time. Perhaps your limit has been reached with that particular lender.Slummy mummy!0
-
Thanks for your replies. It was with Natwest for a 90% LTV residential deal. Our BTL's are all 75%.
I have contacted a broker today, hopefully he can help. Does anyone have any experience of Coventry in a similar scenario?0 -
mrsbooster123 wrote: »
All 3 BTL's are rented and self-sufficient and two of these are with the lender we are trying to get a new residential mortgage with.
Unless the properties are unencumbered, i.e. debt free they are not self sufficient. As you are carrying the risk of debts to service and costs to pay should the tenants default or no rent is generated for any reason. Leveraging magnifies the reward and likewise magnifies the downside.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

