NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

MoneySaving Poll: Are you going to vote in this year’s General Election?

Poll started 3 February 2015

Are you going to vote in this year’s General Election?

Thursday 5 February is National Voter Registration Day (you can register hereif you haven’t already). We believe it’s one of the biggest consumer decisions you get to make, but only 65% of people actually voted in 2010.

Please select the one option most relevant to your intention.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• Perhaps the people who read your emails are not "average" voters, I suspect that the results in the election will bear that out........we will see!!
  • I believe voting in the general election (or affirmatively abstaining) should be compulsory.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • ScarletBeaScarletBea Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I wish I could vote, honestly.
    But apparently, despite the extremely high level of taxes I pay and help the UK society, I'm not allowed a say in how that is done :/
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Will people who "don't bother" to vote come and "bother" to say so in this poll?
  • edited 4 February 2015 at 3:08PM
    dastepdastep Forumite
    39 Posts
    edited 4 February 2015 at 3:08PM
    My grandfather took a bullet from a Nazi sniper while fighting in France in 1944. I honour his memory by making sure my wife and I exercise our freedom by voting every chance we have.
  • I am amazed at how few have bothered to register to vote by post.

It's dead easy and you get your ballot papers in advance so get a chance to look up all their names online and check out what they stand for etc.

A far better way to do it I think and so much easier.

Who wants to go out and vote if it's a cold or rainy day?! You can post it back when it suits you - as long as it's by the date requested by them!

Go on please - we need everyone to vote to avoid another corrupt coalition and to have the terrible conservatives with UKIP would be the biggest disaster as UKIP are just like the con's and both would also bring back hunting, which I'm dead against - so please for me, vote by post at least :)
  • Get out there and vote in person. You owe it to yourself and your children. I have a deep distrust of voting any other way unless I was physically disabled. A bit of rain and cold?!! What did the suffragettes go through? I want to see my vote got into a sealed box.

And then, whoever gets in, you had your say. The majority vote will win and then we all abide by that decision however it pans out.
  • I always vote - people died for my right to do just that.

Whenever I hear people complaining about the government I always ask them if they voted. If they say no then I tell them they have no business complaining.
  • kathrynhakathrynha Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    I am amazed at how few have bothered to register to vote by post.

It's dead easy and you get your ballot papers in advance so get a chance to look up all their names online and check out what they stand for etc.

A far better way to do it I think and so much easier.

I used to do postal votes, and agree with you that it is so much easier, but since my daughter was about 3 I changed back to going to the polling station. I always take her with me when I vote and explain to her what I'm doing and why it's important. I never let her see who I am voting for though, because I prefer to keep that secret, and want her to make up her own mind when she is older.

I see the voting process as being an important educational experience for a child.
    Zebras rock
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    stevemcol wrote: »
    I believe voting in the general election (or affirmatively abstaining) should be compulsory.

I'm strongly against making it compulsory but do believe people should vote. It is however someone's choice if they wish to not vote. I'm also not sure how forcing people who don't care would be a benefit to society.
    Go on please - we need everyone to vote to avoid another corrupt coalition and to have the terrible conservatives with UKIP would be the biggest disaster as UKIP are just like the con's and both would also bring back hunting, which I'm dead against - so please for me, vote by post at least :)

Your assuming that if people vote we won't end up with a coalition, it could well happen regardless. I'm of the belief we'll end up with a Tory/UKIP coalition but we'll see.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum