We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Smaller 5-speed MTB cogs

I have an old Raleigh Triton Firejet 10-speed MTB which I commute 12.5 miles on. It must be about 20 years old; but I'm hanging on to it as all of its disadvantages will only make me fitter!

It has a 14-28 rear hub, and the largest crank gear has 48 teeth.

On downhill sections I'm limited to about 32mph because I can't physically move my feet any faster, so I want to change the gear ratios so I can go faster.

Is there such thing as a 5-speed screw-on type hub with a smaller gearset than 14-28?

Failing that, is it viable to upsize the crank gears?

Comments

  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 February 2015 at 4:46PM
    Tobster86 wrote: »
    I have an old Raleigh Triton Firejet 10-speed MTB which I commute 12.5 miles on. It must be about 20 years old; but I'm hanging on to it as all of its disadvantages will only make me fitter!

    It has a 14-28 rear hub, and the largest crank gear has 48 teeth.

    On downhill sections I'm limited to about 32mph because I can't physically move my feet any faster, so I want to change the gear ratios so I can go faster.

    Is there such thing as a 5-speed screw-on type hub with a smaller gearset than 14-28?

    Failing that, is it viable to upsize the crank gears?

    There used to be some shimano Megarange freewheels that had a top 13 or even 11; I've used a few as a solution to the same problem as yours. Generally they were 6-7 speed, but seemed to fit ok, and the lowest gear was so oversize and close to the spokes not point setting up the gear change to include it.

    I still have a new one in the spares box, but unfortunately they're getting as rare as hen's teeth.

    edit:
    this was the one I used to buy, very useful for folding bikes, but no longer available:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/hg50-multiple-freewheel-11-34t-ec016707
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    32 mph on a 20 year old MTB while commuting isn't fast enough for you!. How fast do you want to go?. How good are the brakes?.
  • Tobster86
    Tobster86 Posts: 782 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Brakes are reasonable, roads in question are mostly NSL; the ones that aren't have better discretion applied! I'm a generally slow & high-torque pedaller and feel as though I could go faster with a couple more gears down these hills.

    From what I can gather, the old screw-on type cassette hubs don't have (won't physically accommodate?) cogs with fewer than 14 teeth, regardless of number of gears; and MTB crank gears of more than 48 teeth also seem to be non-existent.

    Are these reasonable assumptions, or is someone aware of an item that proves either wrong?
  • If you want to go faster maybe you should get a road bike. The bike you have wasn't intended for high speed even when it was new and I suspect finding the parts you want will be almost impossible. Alternatively you could just work on increasing your cadence which won't cost you anything.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.