We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Buy to let - mortgage comes to an end

I have a buy to let mortgage. It is interest only and will come to an end in a year's time.

It is on a standard variable rate. I do not have a vehicle in place to repay the mortgage. Will the lender extend the loan?

I am concerned and not sure what course of action to take. Any advice is welcom

Comments

  • betmunch
    betmunch Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    If you meet their criteria for a new loan they would likely extend it.


    Otherwise you could see which other lenders might take you on.


    Failing that you would be expected to sell it, with BTLs the property itself is the repayment vehicle.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Foxy-Stoat_3
    Foxy-Stoat_3 Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    Either sell or ask the lender to extend.

    I am afraid no one on here will be able to say if your lender will let you extend your interest only BTL mortgage without running all of your information past your lender's mortgage underwriters.
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • Thanks for the reply. I would like to extend for a few more years. It is in an area where the capital appreciation is low.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.