We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Lender Restrictions
lennarrd
Posts: 1 Newbie
Good evening
Is it usual for a lender to deny a mortgage because the seller has probate and has not transferred the property via Land Registry into their sole name?
I am being told they (the lender) will not consider it until the property is registered to a living person for 6 months.
Can someone confirm please as I have not come accross this yet?
Thank you
Is it usual for a lender to deny a mortgage because the seller has probate and has not transferred the property via Land Registry into their sole name?
I am being told they (the lender) will not consider it until the property is registered to a living person for 6 months.
Can someone confirm please as I have not come accross this yet?
Thank you
0
Comments
-
The executors of the estate of the deceased can sell the property directly.0
-
You either approach this as a purchase from the estate; or the property is transferred into the name of the beneficiary and then it's a remortgage.
If going the latter route, some lenders apply their six month rule, others don't so you are seeing one lender's policy which should not be attributed to the whole market.I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.0 -
kingstreet wrote: »one lender's policy should not be attributed to the whole market.
Quote of the week!
These 11 words alone could answer 1 in 10 of the queries on this forum.I am a Mortgage Broker
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
Do you mean that you are buying the property from the executor and your mortgage lender won't lend?
As kingstreet mentions though lenders may apply the 6 month rule in different ways so you may have to apply elsewhere?“Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"0 -
We had such a case recently.
We ensured that the property remained within the estate and raised a BTL mortgage to enable one of the beneficiaries to purchase the property, providing the mortgage funds to settle the inheritance of the other beneficiary in cash.
The alternative would be property becoming jointly owned by the beneficiaries, possibly resulting in a reduced pool of potential lenders due to the six month "rule."
Then, there would be a transfer of equity and possible stamp duty implications. Where possible, the purchase is the way to go.I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

