We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Joint mortgage help!
hamnat
Posts: 6 Forumite
I have a joint mortgage on property bought 10 years ago,with a friend at the time. It is an interest only mortgage of £93k , deposit of £32K jointly paid . Friend wants out of the mortgage, wants share of deposit back plus half proceeds from sale. House is valued at £150K. Only I have lived in the property, I have paid the mortgage for the whole period, I pay all insurances, life assurance to cover mortgage,and have added improvements to the house.
I wish to remain in the house, and take the mortgage on myself. Is this possible, and what is my friend entitled to from this? I have proposed to return her half share of the deposit plus a lump sum of around 25%. She informs me it is difficult to remove her name from mortgage + title deeds, and now proposes to buy the house at the original purchase price of £125K. This would leave me homeless(pensioner in 2 weeks) if she can do this. This is in Scotland ,though mortgage was with Abbey now Santander. I would be grateful for advice. Thanks:)
I wish to remain in the house, and take the mortgage on myself. Is this possible, and what is my friend entitled to from this? I have proposed to return her half share of the deposit plus a lump sum of around 25%. She informs me it is difficult to remove her name from mortgage + title deeds, and now proposes to buy the house at the original purchase price of £125K. This would leave me homeless(pensioner in 2 weeks) if she can do this. This is in Scotland ,though mortgage was with Abbey now Santander. I would be grateful for advice. Thanks:)
0
Comments
-
I cannot see you doing it interest only but it is possible.
What is more worrying is if you are a pensioner in two weeks, how will you pay the mortgageI am a Mortgage Broker
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
Thanks. I have a buyer who is willing to pay friend off primarily,then purchase from me ,and leave me in the property for a nominal rent until the end of my days,as an investment for his son. My family have moved nearer to my home, but I do not wish to have to move again if I can possibly avoid it0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
