We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Offset mortgage to fund buy-to-let...

Hi!

I have a long standing offset mortgage with the Woolwich.
The offset mortgage has a 'mortgage reserve' which allows me to 're-borrow' some of the funds that I have already paid off.
That 're-borrowed' money would be at the original rather low rate.

I would like to buy a second property and let it out - if I go to the market for a buy-to-let mortgage the rate is much higher than that I can 're-borrow' from the Woolwich on.

I know I can borrow the money, buy and let the second property
but, technically, the mortgage is against my home.

Can I 're-borrow' the money and still use the rental income to pay back the mortgage _before_ the tax is paid?

Cheers

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,077 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    You would need to check with woolwich to see if they allow that.

    Dont forget, assuming your declaring the income from the property you can put the interest down as an expense. So although the rate may be higher, you end up getting some or all of it back by way of a reduced tax bill (you can do that even if you draw down on the offset facility also I believe - get out clause... always seek professional advice from an accountant :) )
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Did we not have a poster on here last week who wanted to sue 'the world and his wife' because her Parents had been making extensive use of their Mortgage Reserve over a number of years?


    It's a strange world.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • TaDa
    TaDa Posts: 31 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi ACG

    Yes, the Woolwich are happy enough to do this.

    LOL - I understand the tax benefits on the borrwoings - I just need clarification as to whether this is possible utilising the 'offset funds'.

    I did ask 'my' accountant but he first said "yes" and then latterly "no" so I'm a little confused - hence my post :-)
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sounds like a top accountant!
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,077 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    If I was a betting man, I would say it can be done. But im not qualified to give that sort of advice. However, I would suggest you get an accountant who is a little more confident as there is a lot at stake if its wrong.

    Bare in mind you are securing it against your home. It would also need to be on repayment, where as a BTL would not. Personally I would say the less secured against my own home the better.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • TaDa
    TaDa Posts: 31 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ACG wrote: »
    Personally I would say the less secured against my own home the better.

    Thats a very good point.
    amnblog wrote: »
    Sounds like a top accountant!
    He's normally very good - perhaps he has had a change of heart for some reason - there was a year between statements.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,077 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Are you self employed TaDa?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • TaDa
    TaDa Posts: 31 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi ACG
    I run a limited company - hence the accountant - but I don't want to hold the building as an asset of the company
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.