We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage advice

I'm currently in the process of looking at mortgages and engaging a particular broker.

The mortgage we're looking at is the Woolwich Springboard as we have a family member who can help us out initially.

The question is, there isn't an arrangement fee and the broker charges £100 to put the application in, then a further £400 when the mortgage completes.

Is there any benefit of going through an advisor rather than going direct and saving ourselves effectively what we could put towards the legal fees?

Any help / personal experiences would be appreciated
«1

Comments

  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Have you already signed up for the brokers terms?
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Not as yet, we haven't signed anything
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    But your broker introduced you to the product?
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Yes, we had a meeting with him for about an hour and he took all our financial information away, then recommended this product.

    It was my opinion that brokers get fees directly from arranging the mortgage, but obviously in this case Barclays don't charge a penny.

    Is there any advantage to using him for the service rather than going direct?
  • Leon_W
    Leon_W Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    It's a very complicated product and for that money I'd take advice from your broker.


    Your "helper" will need separate legal advice and there are a whole nest of possible problems with it that could come back and bite you on the bum later. As an example.... Are you aware that your "helpers" deposit is not protected by the FSCS ??? I'm not sure an "independent" Barclays will be pointing such things out in quite the same way as a broker who will make you consider all the pitfalls.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Shack

    You have just outlined why Brokers are cagey about the information they provide to borrowers.

    It sounds as if you met with the broker, had the brokers terms explained, gave the impression you were happy with them, and were advised and recommended a product.

    You are now trying to get the product without the brokers further help simply to avoid paying him/her as per their terms?

    Is that about the size of it - or have I missed something?
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Leon_W wrote: »
    It's a very complicated product and for that money I'd take advice from your broker.


    Your "helper" will need separate legal advice and there are a whole nest of possible problems with it that could come back and bite you on the bum later. As an example.... Are you aware that your "helpers" deposit is not protected by the FSCS ??? I'm not sure an "independent" Barclays will be pointing such things out in quite the same way as a broker who will make you consider all the pitfalls.

    Hi Leon,

    We are aware that their money isn't protected. He has banked with Barclays for 30 years and worked with them directly in the past so he has fully investigated the terms and conditions and knows the ins and outs.

    The broker didn't actually point this out to us.
  • amnblog wrote: »
    Shack

    You have just outlined why Brokers are cagey about the information they provide to borrowers.

    It sounds as if you met with the broker, had the brokers terms explained, gave the impression you were happy with them, and were advised and recommended a product.

    You are now trying to get the product without the brokers further help simply to avoid paying him/her as per their terms?

    Is that about the size of it - or have I missed something?

    Hi Anmblog,

    We met with the broker back in November and at that time we told him we wouldn't be actively looking until Feb / March as some of our money is tied up until the end of March.

    We gave him some basic information as to our financial situation, we weren't tied in at all and he immediately recommended the Woolwich springboard mortgage and 1-2 others which didn't fit our circumstances.

    I don't mind using a broker / paying for their services if they offer real added value to our situation.

    What I refuse to do is pay £500 for a recommendation that I'm sure with a couple of internet searches and more research we could have found ourselves.

    The original question I was asking was, if we went with this particular mortgage, is there anything specific they could add in terms of value that would be beneficial (negotiating with the Woolwich / getting better rates etc.)

    If things are fixed and it is a very straightforward application, purely information based then I struggle to see what I'm paying £500 for?
  • Dave_Ham
    Dave_Ham Posts: 6,045 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sounds like you have made up your mind and are looking for reasons to validate your thoughts.


    Given many of the "informed" people on here are brokers, I think you would be hard pushed to validate your idea here.


    As with anything in life, sometimes you only appreciate the true cost of something when presented with the alternative.


    Try and book an appointment with Barclays/Woolwich and then attend the meeting, your opinion may change.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Dave_Ham wrote: »
    Sounds like you have made up your mind and are looking for reasons to validate your thoughts.


    Given many of the "informed" people on here are brokers, I think you would be hard pushed to validate your idea here.


    As with anything in life, sometimes you only appreciate the true cost of something when presented with the alternative.


    Try and book an appointment with Barclays/Woolwich and then attend the meeting, your opinion may change.

    Hi Dave,

    Thanks for your honesty and I have heard some horror stories about the Woolwich in the past.

    This deal though for what we want is absolutely perfect (I'm trying not to count my chickens though).
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.