We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Car Loans and Being a First Time Buyer
robcole
Posts: 9 Forumite
Hi all,
Hope I'm posting in the correct place. My girlfriend and I have been saving for a deposit for our first house and have managed to get together a good 10% with some extra to cover the costs.
My concern and question is around being approved a mortgage whilst we both have a car loan. I have a personal loan and she has a car finance and together they equate to about 15% of our take home income.
Where do you think we will stand with this? Would there be a suitable and clever way for me to attempt to get rid of a loan to make our situation easier? Would you ever add a loan onto a mortgage to make monthly payments more affordable? I appreciate there's a lot of questions but any help would be fantastic!
Ps. my loan left is about 9K and my car is worth 7K - only thing I can think of myself is selling and clearing this loan then maybe getting a new car lease etc that is cheaper per month..... Does that make it more appealing to mortgage lenders?
Hope I'm posting in the correct place. My girlfriend and I have been saving for a deposit for our first house and have managed to get together a good 10% with some extra to cover the costs.
My concern and question is around being approved a mortgage whilst we both have a car loan. I have a personal loan and she has a car finance and together they equate to about 15% of our take home income.
Where do you think we will stand with this? Would there be a suitable and clever way for me to attempt to get rid of a loan to make our situation easier? Would you ever add a loan onto a mortgage to make monthly payments more affordable? I appreciate there's a lot of questions but any help would be fantastic!
Ps. my loan left is about 9K and my car is worth 7K - only thing I can think of myself is selling and clearing this loan then maybe getting a new car lease etc that is cheaper per month..... Does that make it more appealing to mortgage lenders?
0
Comments
-
Clever way to get rid of the loan is sell the car and pay it off. Buy a cheaper car?
Will selling a car at a loss and leasing a car really save you money?
Sell car for £7k. Take £4k from your savings and pay off the balance and buy a cheaper car outright.
The money your currently paying each month will soon top your savings back up.
Wont a new car deal/lease mean fresh finance applications on your credit file?Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...0 -
Monthly outgoings on car loans impact on your affordability.
Eliminating or reducing one loan will increase your maximum affordability.
Have a broker run you some figures to see how critical your car loans are on borrowing the amount you seek.
(No, you cannot add such loans to your mortgage)I am a Mortgage Broker
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I will speak with a mortgage broker to understand my situation better and if It looks like I won't be approved a mortgage I'll look to doing something about the personal loan. Thanks again much appreciated!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
