We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage application, nursery fees / vouchers

I earn a basic salary of 32.5 My wife earns 19. We have no loans, credit cards etc..

We pay 680 per month to a nursery which is made up of a 240 salary sacrifice from my wife and the remaining 440 comes out of our joint account by direct debit.

Subject to how I 'input' / breakdown the childcare figures when completing online calculators I get very different answers to the 'how much can I borrow' question.

With Nationwide for example..

(1) If when completing online calculators I declare our salaries as 32.5 for me, 19k for wife and childcare costs as 680 per month, we can borrow 207k.

(2) if I deduct the 240 per month from my wife's salary (12 x 240 = 2880 (call it 3k)) and so say she has a salary of 16k, and then declare childcare costs as 440 per month, we can borrow over 220k.

This same pattern occurs with most other lenders.

Option 2 is of course better for us (we need 220k to move to the house we want). Logically, I can't see why the results are different. The disposable income left for us (detailed in option 1) are more or less the same as those in option 2 (ie of a couple where the wife earns 16k (not 19k) but who only have to pay 440 per month childcare (as opposed to 680).

In fact, because of the tax benefits of using vouchers, you could argue that the couple in option 1 are 'better off.'

I'd be grateful if any mortgage adviser / other knowledgeable person could advise whether there is any chance of a lender agreeing to let us submit our calculations as per option 2 as opposed to option 1? The wage slips evidence the 19k salary with 240 deducted at source (effectively reducing the annual amount to 16k - leaving only 440 per month payable to the nursery)

Thanks

Comments

  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    If the £240 is on the left side of the wage slip and coming off of gross then option 2 sounds correct.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thanks for the response. The wage slip has payments on the left hand side and deductions on the right. The 240 voucher is deducted on the right hand side together with tax and national insurance.

    I'm aware therefore that strictly speaking my wife's salary is 19k (as opposed to 16k with a cheaper nursery fee). However I can't see why there would be any disadvantage to a lender in allowing us to input our figures as per option 2 as practically speaking we have the same disposable income (if not more) than the option 2 scenario. For some reason the calculators seem to prefer the lower wage / lower outgoing scenario, even if the disposable income is identical.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.