We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Bank Loan for mortgage deposit?

Hi there guys.

My partner and I visitted the bank yesterday to apply for a mortgage. We are 24 & 28. We were given a mortgage promise and were told we could borrow up to 201,000k which surprised us both. The properties we have been looking at are between £100k-£130k.

Our mortgage advisor has said that we are in a very good position, but the only thing that is holding us back is our lack of deposit. We currently only have £4000 for our deposit and are looking for around £13k for a 90% mortgage. We did discuss, although she was very quick to tell us that discussing it was unethical, that we could go to another bank (my partner is with another bank, our joint account is there too) and apply for a loan for the rest of the money for our deposit. She said that if we borrowed the money to make up the rest of our deposit, it wouldn't affect our mortgage application as the amount that we actually need is around £70k less than what the bank is willing to lend.

I understand that this might seem impatient but house prices around our area are rocketing.. Has anybody else here taken a loan to cover their deposit? If none of you have, could someone tell us if what we're doing is possible or are we being really naive?

Thanks!
«1

Comments

  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    JJBounce wrote: »
    She said that if we borrowed the money to make up the rest of our deposit, it wouldn't affect our mortgage application as the amount that we actually need is around £70k less than what the bank is willing to lend.

    Bad advice, no idea what she is talking about.

    Keep saving. Accept the fact that you may have to start at the bottom of the property ladder. Your dream home may have to wait a while longer.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Was it a real advisor or a bank advisor you met?
    If it was a bank advisor which bank?
    If it was a real advisor, did they tell you which lender they were thinking of for you?

    Seems like very poor advice to me. Affordability may not be an issue but lenders do not usually accept a loan as a deposit.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG wrote: »
    Was it a real advisor or a bank advisor you met?
    If it was a bank advisor which bank?
    If it was a real advisor, did they tell you which lender they were thinking of for you?

    Seems like very poor advice to me. Affordability may not be an issue but lenders do not usually accept a loan as a deposit.

    I don't really want to name banks but if the lender was to ask where the deposit has come from, we don't have to tell them it's a loan, do we? Or will they know? As far as the lender knows, that loan was for a new car..
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    edited 1 February 2015 at 5:29PM
    Yes you have to tell them.
    Theyre not stupid.... Deposit £13k and a couple of months before the application is made you take out a £9k loan... As an underwriter what would you think?

    The reason I was asking for the name of the bank was so I could check their criteria. If they accept loans fine. If they do not then your "advisor" is going to potentially build up your hopes, spend your money on valuation and legal fees and then get an earful from you for being useless.

    check the banks criteria.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    JJBounce wrote: »
    I don't really want to name banks but if the lender was to ask where the deposit has come from, we don't have to tell them it's a loan, do we? Or will they know? As far as the lender knows, that loan was for a new car..

    Yes you have to tell them if you don't want to commit mortgage fraud.
    What will your verse be?

    R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • Yes I understand what you're saying. Thanks for your help. Back to the drawing board!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    JJBounce wrote: »
    I don't really want to name banks but if the lender was to ask where the deposit has come from, we don't have to tell them it's a loan, do we? Or will they know? As far as the lender knows, that loan was for a new car..

    Would a lender believe you? If it was that easy. Everybody would be doing it.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 16,384 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    This is appalling advice and if you took a loan out with another bank this would show on credit checks etc. Personally I would be naming and shaming the mortgage advisor as this is how so many people get into debt problems. Not only would you have a mortgage to repay but also a bank loan.


    Banks also tend to offer you the very maximum they think you can afford but this takes no account of interest rate rises, losses of overtime, higher than average bills, other debts etc as they consider that should be your problem. Do not assume that just because they will offer you £200k then that is affordable. Look at the monthly payment and ask for quotes if interest rates rise.


    Save up for a bigger deposit and do not forget you will need money for solicitors costs, mortgage fees and searches and stamp duty.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
    365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    This is appalling advice and if you took a loan out with another bank this would show on credit checks etc. Personally I would be naming and shaming the mortgage advisor as this is how so many people get into debt problems. Not only would you have a mortgage to repay but also a bank loan. - There is clearly no issue of affordability here if the bank are prepared to lend £200k. But I agree it is bad advice in the sense it will probably not help get the mortgage.


    Banks also tend to offer you the very maximum they think you can afford but this takes no account of interest rate rises, (yes it does, they are usually calcualted on a rate of around 5.5-7% depending on lender and LTV) losses of overtime (yes it does, most lenders only allow 50% of overtime anyway), higher than average bills (most use ONS figures which are averages).

    I dont like to correct peoples posts but there are a few things not quite right above.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Calm down everyone.

    There is a mainstream lender that will allow you to loan part of your deposit provided everything fits with their affordability.

    You can be upfront and honest about the loan.

    If it were me however I would look at the Help to Buy Equity Loan scheme and work towards a 5% deposit with a 20% equity loan.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.