We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Transfer of equity question

Hi there,

Quick question. My and my dad share ownership of a house. Both inherited from our grandfather. As it is a residential property, it is stopping me buying my own residential house by using help-to-buy scheme as that is all i could afford. We both currently lived at the shared ownership property.

If I transfer equity over to him, is there some legal method I can ensure that the house goes over to me in some morbid eventuality. The plan is for to have it but I worry that if I take my name of the property, then I'm stuffed and lose inheritance.

Thanks.

Comments

  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 6,050 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Is your Dad working?

    With reasonable income and no adverse credit history?

    If so he could take out a mortgage for half the value and buy you out. Then he can leave the house to whoever he wishes. It would also open up your option for alternative and possibly better mortgage deals as you wont need help to buy.
  • torro_2
    torro_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    No unfortunately he doesn't have a great income. He's around 65.

    The mortgage left is £50K. Could I use my name as a guarantor to secure him the house or do you think this option is not feasible?
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Not if you want Help To Buy.

    Help to buy is there to help first time buyers, not those who own their own home (all be it with Dad)
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.