We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance

I asked a question about income protection and critical illness cover some time ago and I did get some good answers.

I have lived in my house for six months. I have paid £1400 for the mortgage each month instead of £541 (I can pay 10% overpayment each year). If I continue like this then I will pay it off in just over seven years instead of 25 years. However this is a best case scenario.

Is there anyone else who is in the same boat as me. Do you have MPPI? What term did you choose? 25 years?

Comments

  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,727 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you have the mortgage paid off after 7 years you can always Cancel the MPPI.
    We have Level term life assurance which covers us until I am 65 but we have nearly cleared the whole mortgage in 8 years ( Untill we took out another mortgage)
    The monthly premium does not increase over the whole term and the amount does not decrease ( Level term)
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    dimbo61 wrote: »
    If you have the mortgage paid off after 7 years you can always Cancel the MPPI.
    We have Level term life assurance which covers us until I am 65 but we have nearly cleared the whole mortgage in 8 years ( Untill we took out another mortgage)
    The monthly premium does not increase over the whole term and the amount does not decrease ( Level term)

    Does Life Insurance include Critical Illness and Income Protection?
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Not as standard, but some products offer the other forms of protection as add ons.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.