We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

First time buyer looking for advise

Hi, me and my partner are first time buyers and looking to buy our first home together. He has a decent deposit available (at least 25,000 - more if needed). I earn significantly more than him but our combined income is £40,000 before tax. I have a bit of debt £3000 on one credit card and just under £2000 on an overdraft. We are looking to buy in oxford (notoriously expensive) so would need a mortgage of 5x income even with our deposit. I'm working hard to reduce my debt - should I move the credit card debt to a 0% deal? What are our chances of getting a mortgage?

Thanks for any advise, it's greatfully received.

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Im not sure this would be possible.

    5x income
    Just over 10% deposit
    You have debt of more than 10% of your annual income.
    Added to that, most lenders have caps in place of 4.5x your annual income.

    Im not saying its impossible but realistically I think you need to sit down with a broker.

    Having debt on 0% wont do make any difference other than paying less interest. Lenders will treat it the same.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thanks ACG. Should I prioritise clearing the existing debt as soon as possible. Do you think it makes any difference if I clear the credit card or the overdraft first? My partner could but down a higher deposit as he probably has nearly 50k saved but we would prefer that he keeps some of his saving.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    I would either speak to a broker or do some sums based on both scenarios, have a mess about onlenders affordability calculators.

    Just bare in mind some lenders will say a figure that is higher than their cap - you dont want to get caught out by that.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thanks ACG. We will play around with the estimates and speak to a broker. We have had a look at the sums and by cutting back and rejigging my finances and using the small amount of savings I have I could clear the debt by the end of May so may well be worth postponing house buying until then.
  • Pete9501
    Pete9501 Posts: 427 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary
    Don't switch the credit card, just make sure you are paying it down which shows you can afford and manage short term borrowing.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.