We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How much?

Hi guys, just a quick question for you knowledgeable folks.

With a combined income of around £42k, how much could potentially be borrowed?, there will be 1 loan for my girlfriends uni lpc course which is £15000 over 5 years that starts around August but otherwise no late payments, missed payments, defaults, ccjs etc? First time buyers. Good credit history.

By the time we're ready to buy, hopefully early next year we will have over 20k saved, but here in the south east it's getting expensive. Is 150k mortgage doable?

I'm just trying to get all our ducks in a row before moving forward to help things along.

Any comments welcome, even if it is to tell me there's no hope :rotfl:

Thanks,
Jack

Comments

  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Depends on mortgage term, dependents, credit costs, lender used etc.

    Input your personal details into different lender calculators or go through the factfind process with a broker and have them do it with you.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Hi,

    Mortgage term 30 years, no dependants, each have only around £80 direct debit going out each month.

    I've tried different lenders calculators but they differ by quite a lot, I thought maybe others would have a better idea of who lends more than others.

    I don't really want to waste a brokers time at this stage as we won't be looking until the new year, just thought I'd see if I could get some rough figures.

    Thanks for the prompt reply though :)
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You've mentioned a loan, but no monthly repayments.

    Affordability is based on income and such outgoings. You need to enter the monthly payments for the loan.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • It's around £250 per month for the loan for 5 years.

    I keep missing things, I do apologise. Perhaps it's best if I wait until next year to speak with a broker then.

    I was just hoping to get a rough ball park figure to see if it's doable but I appreciate it's a lot more complicated than that.

    Thanks for the replies
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.