PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Rice Balls

Options
Any idea on how to make them? DS1 is desperate for some (!) after Todd off Todd World had them in his lunch box today ... I'm not sure he'd go for the traditional Japanese kind, can you just basically roll up rice into a ball and grill it (I don't fry anything, can't stand the smell!!!). And could I roll the rice around a piece of chicken, for example? I don't want to be going out to buy special rice, my bogstandard Lidl Basmati will have to do.

Any advice please? Did do a quick search ...
That's Numberwang!

Comments

• Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They're called onigiri, and I think you can just make them plain (although the link does say not with long grain rice, maybe it's not starchy enough to stick together?). They're often served wrapped with nori (sheets of seaweed) or flavoured with furikake, which are available in lots of different flavours, or filled with various pickles, but I'm sure they'd work 'plain'. To get them to stick, make them with hot/warm rice rather than cold :)
  • devils_advocate
    Options
    Normally the rice balls are made with normal steamed rice, but you may have to buy the japanese variety so that its sticky. Are there any Asian shops near you? (I mean Japanese or Korean, etc, rather than Indian/ Pakistani). You may also be able to get onigiri moulds, which are triangular plastic shapes in which you squeeze the rice to keep it firm, and then press out the shape.

Another idea is to get a sushi mat, which is like a small bamboo table mat. lay it flat, put a piece of seaweed on it, and scoop rice on top. Put a filling in it (small cucumber slices are very Japanese) or my kids like canned tuna mixed with sweetcorn. Use the mat to roll the filling in the centre, surrounded by rice, with the seaweed tound the outside. Get a sharp knife, rinse it frequently in hot water, and cut the roll into slices.

Or alternatively, if you have sticky rice, roll it into small salls about 2cm in diameter. Put a blob of tomato ketchup on the top, and tell your kids they're bloodshot eyeballs!
    I can spell - but I can't type
  • odds-n-sods
    Options
    to get the rice to stick together, you need to use sushi rice, not basmati, it isn#t starchy enough.
  • nick_b
    nick_b Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    to get the rice to stick together, you need to use sushi rice, not basmati, it isn#t starchy enough.

I've made o-nigiri perfectly well with basmati :) As stated above, the key is to shape them when the rice is still warm. Another tip, wet your hands so the rice doesn't stick to them.
    0_o
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Am sticking to basmati ... need to know this isn't just a 'fad' before I fork out for more rice ... will let you know how I get on.
    That's Numberwang!
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There are Italian versions of rice balls called Arancini. This website has a recipe just in case you want to check it out. They're usually fried unfortunately but are quite starchy and cheesy so very filling - maybe more the sort of thing kids might like?
    http://recipeforsuccess.uk.com/recipes/arancini-deep-fried-risotto-balls
    They are yummy :)
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There are Italian versions of rice balls called Arancini. This website has a recipe just in case you want to check it out. They're usually fried unfortunately but are quite starchy and cheesy so very filling - maybe more the sort of thing kids might like?
    http://recipeforsuccess.uk.com/recipes/arancini-deep-fried-risotto-balls

had something like that on honeymoon, but i think they had meat in them :eek: , not good as I'm veggie!
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    Options
    I tried one of those Italian rice balls at Borough market - it was delicious (cheese filled deep fried rice, what's not to love lol) but it was stodgy, like eating a brick!!
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There are Italian versions of rice balls called Arancini.
    Yes, i think this is more the thing i was looking for - many thanks!
    That's Numberwang!
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can use normal short grained pudding rice for sushi type recipes. Not authentic but does the job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure