We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Back to original floor boards
modelreject
Posts: 703 Forumite
in N. Ireland
Hi all,
Wanting some advice. Based in East Belfast in a small 1930s semi. Getting house rennovated and need something done with the floors. Currently carpeted but I like sanded/varnished floorboards.
Anyone gone through the process of taking floors back to original floorboards?
Regarding upstairs has anyone insulated under floorboards, how did you go about lifting the floorboards and what insulation did you use?
I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Thanks,
MR
Wanting some advice. Based in East Belfast in a small 1930s semi. Getting house rennovated and need something done with the floors. Currently carpeted but I like sanded/varnished floorboards.
Anyone gone through the process of taking floors back to original floorboards?
Regarding upstairs has anyone insulated under floorboards, how did you go about lifting the floorboards and what insulation did you use?
I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Thanks,
MR
0
Comments
-
We did, we didn't even dream of insulation. We froze!June 2026, Mortgage free, Emergency fund fully funded & £200/200 cash maximum pb holding .:jWeight 12st challenge 11st 2lb
Gift to children challenge £40k in 2 years. Short term gift challenge 7 presents and $1300 can by September.
Determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection. I’m not perfect but I’m good enough.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6673398/hopefully-cruising-with-focus-towards-retirement#latest0 -
I did it in my livingroom in my last house .I didnt insulate ,didnt really need it .The one thing I noticed was every sound vibrates .I would still do it again given the opportunity ,but not upstairs."Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"0
-
So the general consensus is to carpet upstairs :-)
Another quick question. If I was to indeed go ahead and keep the original floorboards bare I would insulate underneath. This leads to the question, do you lift the floor boards and place them down exactly where they were before? I only ask because I would be driving nails into where they were before. Woudl that make the boards loose and more susceptible to creaks etc?0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards