PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Survey said 'un-mortgagable'

Options

Comments

• HalfPint
    HalfPint Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's definitely not a prefab. I'm pretty sure it's brick built but there is concrete in the stairwell.

I'm trying not to run ahead when I have no real idea if there is an issue or not but yes, I have considered that I may end up being a reluctant landlord.
    DEBT FREE DATE: 05/02/2015!

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
  • princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keep marketing it. You might find the next lender has zero issues, or at least tells you about it.

PS it's not a freehold flat is it?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Any idea which lender/survey firm was involved?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree the advice above- to try again. If the lease is well over 80 years, it's not that, so it might be that the valuer knew that lender's policies ... which differ between lenders. For example I was thinking of buying a Georgian house with an original flat roof... but my (mainstream high street) lender said they didn't like flat roofs... whereas another didn't object. I've heard that some lenders don't like system built (concrete panel) construction but that doesn't seem to be your issue...

So keep hoping
  • HalfPint
    Options
    No, it's a leasehold flat. I don't know the survey firm but I think the lender was Paragon (though not 100% sure).

HP x

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
  • kingstreet
    Options
    HalfPint wrote: »
    No, it's a leasehold flat. I don't know the survey firm but I think the lender was Paragon (though not 100% sure).

HP x
    Paragon don't lend on ex-local authority flats or maisonettes;-
    Property exclusions

Property is unacceptable if it is:

- an ex-local authority flat or maisonette

- non-traditional construction such as concrete or timber or where existing or possible structural defects are apparent

- a shared ownership property (currently or previously)

- a converted flat where the applicant occupies a property in the same building

- a freehold flat or maisonette in England and Wales

- designated as defective under any housing legislation

- subject to agricultural or other planning restrictions (see part commercial property above)

- subject to notice of mineral extraction, contaminated land or previous mining subsidence and landfill

- being purchased under the right to buy scheme

- built within the last 10 years without an NHBC certificate or other guarantee acceptable to us

- subject to a pre-emption clause

- a property with solar panels installed where they are subject to a lease agreement

- located within either 10 metres of an electrical sub-station or 100 metres of an overhead high voltage cable or communication mast
    See page 6;-

http://www.paragon-mortgages.co.uk/Files/PMLGeneric/Literature/Products/Lending%20Guidelines%20and%20Submission%20Requirements.pdf

I assume this was a BTL purchase then?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • HalfPint
    edited 30 January 2015 at 8:22AM
    Options
    Thanks Kingstreet, I guess the line in bold is the reason :D

Yes, it was a BTL. More than likely anyone who buys my flat will BTL.

That has at least helped put my mind at rest that there isn't something drastically wrong with it. Looks more like their broker didn't do his homework properly.

HP x

• princeofpounds
    Options
    Nice work kingstreet
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    Then it may not be the end of the deal - is the buyer aware that all they need to do is approach another lender who is prepared to lend on ex-council? It's not quite the same as discovering the whole thing is carved from a block of asbestos.
  • kingstreet
    Options
    Some brokers just don't ask their clients relevant questions.

The sad thing is, I bet the broker was too embarrassed to tell the client the true reason for the decline, so the client has gone away thinking he can't purchase that property.

Pathetic, really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure