Bridging loan ?

witm8
witm8 Posts: 14 Forumite
Going to keep this simple and only include details:

House 1 - Currently living in.
House 2 - Going to buy.
House 2 - Needs renovation, extention - Will be paid for by sale of House 1 (as well as initial purchase price).
House 2 - Renovation, extention will take 6 months(ish) - Will live in House 1 for duration.

We can't sell House 1 until House 2 is finished.
We can't pay builders etc until House 1 is sold.

What is the usual situation as I'm sure this this is not unusual ?

Do I need one of those awful bridging loans that I've heard about - with massive interest rates etc ??

Thanks

Comments

• Foxy-Stoat_3
    Foxy-Stoat_3 Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    witm8 wrote: »
    Going to keep this simple and only include details:

House 1 - Currently living in.
    House 2 - Going to buy.
    House 2 - Needs renovation, extention - Will be paid for by sale of House 1 (as well as initial purchase price).
    House 2 - Renovation, extention will take 6 months(ish) - Will live in House 1 for duration.

We can't sell House 1 until House 2 is finished.
    We can't pay builders etc until House 1 is sold.

What is the usual situation as I'm sure this this is not unusual ?

Do I need one of those awful bridging loans that I've heard about - with massive interest rates etc ??

Thanks

Normal situation is sell house 1, buy house 2, live in it while you carry out renovations/extension. If living in it is not an option, buy a caravan and live in that until you can move into part finished or completely finished, then sell caravan.

Or if the other party agrees, borrow the money needed to carry out the renovations, but you will have to give away half of the future equity.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5156311&highlight=
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • You could open a home equity line of credit on your current home. Just make sure it does not impact you qualifying for the 2nd home and pay it off once you sell your home.

If you can quality for two mortgages, you could also consider seeking a bridge loan from a relative for the down payment on the new home. You would most likely pay back this short-term loan when your home sells.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure