North West Wedding

I've just got engaged after nearly 7 years together. We are hoping to be married next year June 2016 but depending on cost may have to be 2017.

We are having 65 day guest and 100 evening. The problem is most packages are for 50 day guest and your looking at £60 + per head for extra guest most places. So that mean's another £1000 to add to the cost.

Just wondering if anyone knows or any affordable places in Merseyside?. We are looking at Leasowe Castle and that's around 3/4k for 50 day guest, 100 night package. However with the extra guest it be more like 5k and am not sure if parents can help towards the cost and me and my oh can't afford 5k on a venue. I really want a place with beautiful scenery so most hotels are out of the question. I don't mind a place that you have to decorate and cater for yourself if the price is cheap. Am even thinking of hiring a marquee but worrying catering may cost a lot.

I'd rather have all my family there than somewhere posh. As long as their plently of food and drink it will be fine.

I've budgeted 1k for my dress, am loving pronovias and thinking of the pergola. Does anyone know any places that does sample dresses from pronovias or offers them for cheaper. The pergola is a few years old.

Also I budgeted £200 max for a wedding car but most seem to be £400 which seems expensive. I have 6 bridesmaids so need a large car so thinking that even a limo may be a better option. If anyone knows of any cheap wedding car hire company in Merseyside it be great.

And on that note I am buying the bridesmaid dresses but can only afford £50 each and don't like the one's from highstreet. I've heard of people buying them from china but am worried about quality and also I've 2 young teens and then the other 4 are all totally different body shapes and sizes so hard to judge what will look good on them. I'd like them to wear different style of dress but all floor length chiffon.

Comments

• ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My first bit of advice is try and go for a midweek wedding. We're getting married on a Thursday and our venue isn't charging us a hire fee. We are literally just paying food and a nominal charge to have the ceremony there. This has meant we can have the venue we love for a price that is within our budget.

You can try the wedding dress outlet stores (there's one in Bolton) and my best friend bought a Pronovias dress there for about £400. There's no gurantee that they'll have any if you were to go but you can get some top designers for a fraction of the price.

Have no ideas about wedding cars I'm afraid as we don't need them, maybe you could all get ready at your venue and then you don't need cars?

TK Maxx often have really nice evening gowns for about £50 so that may be worth a look, then you can mix and match designs / colours?

Best of luck planning your wedding, remember to enjoy it and not stress yourself out.
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • RachRubyD
    RachRubyD Posts: 418 Forumite
    I will ask about a midweek wedding it's defiantly going to be cheaper as i've seen other services like cars and also photographers say they give discount of week days and sundays. I think because its June then the price of everything will be expensive on the saturday due to popularity.

Am not sure if am getting married in a church or at the venue yet. Most venues packages involve a ceremony and also legal fees. However if I got married in a church i'd have to pay the legal fee as well and also cost of cars. It's nice to have the cars but a bit of waste of money. The traditional white cars are around £400 i've seen which is stupid money and i'd rather spend that on decorations which I can use after. Am going to ask the venues if they could deduct the price of the ceremony if i got married in a church and see what they say. I just think my family will be disappointed if I don't get married in a church. However my partner isn't religious or his family and I myself don't really follow any religion or attend church, however I am technically catholic. I'd love to get married in the Anglican Cathedral but am not roman catholic and it would be totally over the top for 60 odd people haha.

I have found a shop in stockport that does bridesmaid dresses for £50 and you can have any colour you want. Its an extra £20 to have it custom made but thats all a faff that's not needed. https://www.facebook.com/pages/YS-Dress/599195696814299?ref=stream here's the link. I think that the dresses probably come from china (if you look at the colour swatch chart there is chinese writing on top) and I probably could get them cheaper from china myself but the cost of shipping and tax and the whole hassle isn't worth it. The YS dresses look gorgeous in photos and they all real photos. My colour scheme is blush (pink), mint (aqua) and gold. Having the 4 older bridesmaids in mint and then the 2 younger in pink.

Am going to start looking at dresses now in shops and seeing what brands I like and getting the name of the dress to see if outlets stock them or even get it 2nd hand. I have seen the pergola for £500 second hand. My mum is paying for my bridal stuff like dress and fitting and added cap sleeves. I've budgeted £1000 max for dress.

Am saving money by decorating centerpieces myself. Am buying mason jars and fake silk flowers from etsy and ebay and other bits and bobs. With it coming into spring my colour scheme will be in a lot of the shops so its easier to pick up cheap candle holders and vases etc. My bedroom is pink and gold and spare bedroom is duck egg so I can reuse all the centerpiece stuff for home and even living is duck egg.

Am also diying invites with paper doilys and pink stockcard. I am splashing out on tea towel invites for day time though as most my guests are in big familys so only need around 30 invites. I just think they are really different and something people can keep as a memory.

Am looking for a cake maker at the moment if anyone knows someone in the merseyside area. I've budgeted £300 for the cake.

I've got a pinterest with all my ideas in if anyone wants to take a look. I got quite a few diy stuff on their. http://www.pinterest.com/odunican/
  • If your close to Burscough, there is a dress agency selling wedding dresses, bridesmaids, and accessories for weddings. It is based within Unique party supplies on Burscough Wharf. The lady also has a Facebook page called Treasured Moments. Well worth a look if you have a budget.
  • My oh recently attended a wedding at Rivington Barn (not Merseyside exactly I know) but not too far away, and it is in stunning countryside and is very rustic.

Midweek weddings are great in terms of cost, but they do put more onus on guests to sort out work, childcare etc, and probably mean most won't want to stay overnight. You may get more refusals for a mid weeker which, depending on your view, may be good or bad!
  • RachRubyD wrote: »
    I've just got engaged after nearly 7 years together. We are hoping to be married next year June 2016 but depending on cost may have to be 2017.

We are having 65 day guest and 100 evening. The problem is most packages are for 50 day guest and your looking at £60 + per head for extra guest most places. So that mean's another £1000 to add to the cost.

Just wondering if anyone knows or any affordable places in Merseyside?. We are looking at Leasowe Castle and that's around 3/4k for 50 day guest, 100 night package. However with the extra guest it be more like 5k and am not sure if parents can help towards the cost and me and my oh can't afford 5k on a venue. I really want a place with beautiful scenery so most hotels are out of the question. I don't mind a place that you have to decorate and cater for yourself if the price is cheap. Am even thinking of hiring a marquee but worrying catering may cost a lot.

I'd rather have all my family there than somewhere posh. As long as their plently of food and drink it will be fine.

I've budgeted 1k for my dress, am loving pronovias and thinking of the pergola. Does anyone know any places that does sample dresses from pronovias or offers them for cheaper. The pergola is a few years old.

Also I budgeted £200 max for a wedding car but most seem to be £400 which seems expensive. I have 6 bridesmaids so need a large car so thinking that even a limo may be a better option. If anyone knows of any cheap wedding car hire company in Merseyside it be great.

And on that note I am buying the bridesmaid dresses but can only afford £50 each and don't like the one's from highstreet. I've heard of people buying them from china but am worried about quality and also I've 2 young teens and then the other 4 are all totally different body shapes and sizes so hard to judge what will look good on them. I'd like them to wear different style of dress but all floor length chiffon.

Hi, just thinking ahead to the evening- I don't know whether you would consider because of your budget but we offer a fantastic service that is extremely popular with weddings! It is our fantastic 16foot by 16 foot LED dancefloor that can also be a wedding aisle! As well as this we also offer mood lighting which you may be interested in, and the amazing 20x10 LED backdrop curtain, which usually goes behind the top table! Just a thought but let us know if you are interested as it really does make an unbelievable difference to the day, you can phone/text me on 07530652421 even if it's just to see pictures or anything, please do not hesitate! Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure