Me Too & Comp Closed !!!!

Options
Bumping a thread with "Me too" or similar adds nothing of value to the info (as a rule) and unnecessarily bumps it on the forum. :( which can be annoying.

Once a member has expressed a problem, someone usually comes along with an potential solution :)

Similarly this thread is closed isn't necessary...I think we are meant to click expired (PPE)

Hope this is not offensive to anyone :eek:
It just seems to be happening a lot at the mo & I thought it worth a mention :o
:happylove Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. :happylove

Comments

• sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 January 2015 at 12:42PM
    Options
    There was a thread like this over the weekend :
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5154864

Just because something annoys you, however, doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong.

If someone is experiencing problems with a competition then it's perfectly acceptable for another member to confim that they are also experiencing problems, validating the original posters concerns about perhaps not being able to enter a competition.

When you update a thread with a post saying "This has now closed" this allows people know that it's closed and will get the thread expired more quickly as opposed to leaving it on page 140 until enough people notice and expire to get it removed.

Of course, that's not to say I'm right and you're wrong ... I'm sure (in fact, I know based on the other post) that some people find it annoying, but I'm also sure some people find it useful / helpful.
  • hannahp
    hannahp Posts: 930 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 January 2015 at 12:49PM
    Options

Just because something annoys you, however, doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong.

If someone is experiencing problems with a competition then it's perfectly acceptable for another member to confim that they are also experiencing problems, validating the original posters concerns about perhaps not being able to enter a competition.

When you update a thread with a post saying "This has now closed" this allows people know that it's closed and will get the thread expired more quickly as opposed to leaving it on page 140 until enough people notice and expire to get it removed.

Fair comment :)

It just seems to me that some days you come across a thread multiple times 'groundhog' style & its often 'me too' excessively used!
    :happylove Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. :happylove
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 January 2015 at 1:15PM
    Options

Of course, that's not to say I'm right and you're wrong ... I'm sure (in fact, I know based on the other post) that some people find it annoying, but I'm also sure some people find it useful / helpful.

That's fine if the competition has closed before the day it is due to close.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5075566
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    That's fine if the competition has closed before the day it is due to close.

Well, yeah, that was my assumption. Mainly for Guessendate or comps that close earlier than expected.

If the end date in the title has already passed and it's getting bumped, then yeah, it's pointless and a bit annoying :)
  • hannahp
    hannahp Posts: 930 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, yeah, that was my assumption. Mainly for Guessendate or comps that close earlier than expected.

If the end date in the title has already passed and it's getting bumped, then yeah, it's pointless and a bit annoying :)
    For clarification purposes (I don't like to be thought of as a grump :eek:)
    That was what I meant!

I Think if something has ended sooner or a date couldn't be found at time of posting then bumping with accurate info is great!

Likewise for anything constructive!
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    it doesn't bother me so much if NEW information is added - eg. one person says a comp isn't working in IE, then someone else says it's also not working in Chrome, then someone else in another browser, etc etc... that shows that there's a general fault with the comp.
    Likewise, if someone posts it's not working on one browser but someone else says it is in another one, that is helpful too as it adds information.
    I have occasionally been guilty of posting that a comp is closed, but only after I've clicked expired and it is still showing in Competitions Time. I normally add "please press expired" to my post, that way it will get sent to GO more quickly.
    My pet peeve is (most often newbies) who reply to posts with "great comp, thanks" or "thanks, entered". Sorry if I sound offensive but I don't care if you've entered!! Just click thanks and move on to the next comp!!!
    although saying that, what irks me EVEN MORE is when ^ those type of posts GET thanked!!! Who on earth clicks thanks to an annoying post like that?!
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i dont mind if its important info about the comp- but i agree when its jsut thanks or great comp! i have alotof subscribed threads and getting them coming through just for that is irritating
    What goes around-comes around
  • LaSynergie
    Options
    Actually I find it useful. I go by end date and if I see that someone posted that the comp has ended on the thread, then it explains why there was a missing link or saves me from wasting my time clicking through - especially if it ended early.

Also if there are issues with the comp and people post about it on the thread, then I find it useful as it can explain why I'm having trouble too - rather than just my laptop and sometimes people have a solution that I haven't thought of.

Sometimes there are posts like "great prize" or "good luck everyone" which aren't any use but they are usually newbies and they will soon get the hang of what isn't right to post on threads.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure