Warning! Giving Notice To Marry - Now 28 Days Waiting Period (from March)

Options
Hey all,

Apologies if this has already been posted...

I've had an email confirming that from 2nd March 2015, when you give your notice to marry the waiting period will no longer be 15 days but 28 DAYS!!
Make sure you factor this in when booking any notice of marriage appointments after 2nd March otherwise you may find yourself with a booked and paid for wedding but unable to actually get married!

I literally have no room for movement with mine as I'm in Asia until 18th June. We register on the 19th June which means after the 28th day we can pick up our certificates on the 18th July.
The 18th July is our wedding day!!
That means if anything goes wrong or our flights are delayed then we're screwed!

The email blurb I received:

Please note: from 2nd March 2015 the notice period will increase from 15 days to 28 days.

You can give your notice of marriage up to 12 months in advance of your ceremony, please ensure that you contact your local Registration service to make an appointment allowing for the fact that some offices are extremely busy and there may be a short waiting period.
Where a proposed marriage or civil partnership involves a non-EEA national who is subject to immigration control the notice period may be extended to 70 days.

Couples wishing to marry in the Church of England where at least one of the couple are a non-EEA national will have to give notice via civil preliminaries at a registration office.

Comments

• the_insider
    Options
    Can't you give notice before you go? No point running the risk of leaving it to the last minute and your flight being delayed.
    Getting married 02.08.14
    Wins for the wedding: membership for a 'wedsite' and app, £35 gift voucher for party supplies shop, £50 worth of hand painted signs, 1kg of heart shaped marshmallows :money:
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    our minister warned us this was happening,not know but he did when. that got mu butt into gear as i am one of the biggest procrastinators. hopefully others will be made aware in good time.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Andy_89
    Andy_89 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    We get married in June and I think we did ours last September.

Bloody organised my fiance is!

Always bettter to be safe and contact registry office asap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure