We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Derry Accent

Cotta
Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
Hi All,

This little clip has went viral, does the guy actually speak like this or is he just putting the accent on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-m_BPYJG6M
«1

Comments

  • Doesn't sound Derry at all to me

    More like Larne, Ballymoney or that direction
    NO MORE HANDWASH GLITCHES PLEASE :D:D
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,447 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 January 2015 at 5:24PM
    Definitely a west of the Bann accent. The reporter mentioned that he is from Park which is south of Dungiven. If I did not know it was from Park, I would have guessed a very rural Tyrone accent.


    It is beyond me why it went viral.


    PS. Rural Derry accent is much different to city of Derry accent.
  • Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    It does sound Dungivenish but I do think he's putting it on Sir!!
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    If he is putting it on then I've no idea why it's considered so funny.
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    He's an amateur impressionist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOpwVRuURVc
  • shaz77_2
    shaz77_2 Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    He's an amateur impressionist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOpwVRuURVc

    Oh dear, that was painful.
  • damianmcr
    damianmcr Posts: 162 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hes not putting it on folks. Ive relatives from Park.
  • damianmcr wrote: »
    Hes not putting it on folks. Ive relatives from Park.

    I feel for you :rotfl:
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    He is for real, I know a few folk from Park and they sound quite similar, although his accent is a lot more pronounced.

    He is a very intelligent young man and can speak 3 languages according to the news reports. Having said that out of English, Culchie and Parkish I only count English as a proper language :rotfl:

    As for it being a 'Derry accent' it is most certainly not :eek: The 'Derry Accent' is a lot more faster, high pitched, grating on the ear :rotfl: I should know I hear it every day ;)

    His is a proper "Culchie" accent ;)
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 537 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Well, I hope at the very least he is getting some more hits on his own Youtube video (bad as it is) out of this, it's a real eye-opener as to how quickly Unilad, etc, etc, etc. jump onto hosting videos like these to make their advertising revenue off the back of it.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.