Pay Rise?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am going for a pay review in the next week and need your help. I know I am on a lower wage than everyone else and need a bit of advice and muscle when asking for more.:eek:

Do you have any golden pieces of advice or info for me. I have gone down the line of detailing why I think I deserve more i.e what financial benefits I have brought to the company, how have you helped with the smooth running of the department, any new ideas or working practices I have brought to the department, length of service, strength of commitment etc

Any body got any killer questions / answers etc.:A

The more I think I know the more stupid it looks writing it down. I am normally quite confident but this has left me quite nervous.

Any help would be appreciated.
Dirty Cash- DEBT BATTLER:mad:

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Write it down in bullet points and read off the paper when you go for the review. Better to look a bit daft than miss something out.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO TALK MONEY. Most people are embarrassed when it comes to talking about money and end up selling themselves short, ultimately getting less than they could.

Kick em in the balls with size 10's. If you're on £6 and everyone else is on £7, say you think you're worth £8-£9 because of the points you've outlined.

Try to turn every criticism around but avoid blaming it on colleagues - that never goes down well.
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Detail everything you've done, and end with commitment.

Commitment is a good one. Detail things that show your commitment to the company, say you'd really like to be working there in five years time in some capacity.

Look them in the eye, and say that you feel that the level of pay the company gives you is a measure of their commitment to you, and you'd like to feel that you have a mutually beneficial and committed employer - employee relationship.
  • Alexandria
    Alexandria Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't draw attention to the fact that you are paid less than others, I don't think this is a valid argument for a pay rise as presumably the payrates were set at the start of each persons employment.
    What I would do is find out what is industry standard for your role and if you are on less then use this as a way of highlighting your lower wage without getting personal over other staff.
    Look at your original job spec and make a list of how you have performed above this or demonstrated excellence in the role. Write down examples as the last thing you want is to draw a blank when asked to show this!
    It is also a good ploy to start negotiations by comfirming that you enjoy working in the company and would like to feel that you are a highly valued member of the workforce. Normally the manager would naturally respond by confirming this is the case...now you have started off with them stating your value to them it is simply a case of you pushing that point into monetary terms.
    Make £5 per day in August= £100/£155
    Paid MS- £5+ £10 GR, £5 RE, £15 MS
    £65 ebay profit
    Waiting on payment- E160 BAI
    :j
  • mstar
    mstar Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    i follow up to a issue on this can you have a right to ask for why i havn't been given a pay rise (against there criteria)? as i have been overlooked but i would like to know the reason why so i can either retify the issue or see how i can improve?
  • DIRTY_CASH
    DIRTY_CASH Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Just to keep you updated. Things started to go wrong around the time of the National Minimum wage. My wages never increased in line with the increases being paid. Newbies were starting on around what I had been on and I had been working there 7 years at the time just slowly rising up the pay scale in a a now poorly paid job. I cover a number of areas within a department which is the hub of the company so sometimes I come under one area and some days another. I have bags of experience, more responsibility more duties plus unsociable shifts. I pushed my claim for a fairer wage using this as a basic comparison last year only to be told " Yes we can see the situation but there is no money in the pot for payrises". A bit disgruntled but decided to plod on as I know the job like the back of my hand, my friends are there and the job isn't that bad in its self except the money is poor. I even overheard my line manager discuss the situation with another only to be told I could like it or lump it as there were others who would gratefully take the job on.:mad: Once my temper subsided I decided to do this properly in a non confrontational "by the book" approach. Later that week I found another part of the dept had been restructured and all had pay rises - some up to £2k!!! all within a fortnight of being told there was no money in the pot for myself or others.

I have raised this as a greivance officialy and I am going into another pay meeting armed to the teeth with you help. I have found the basic average pay for my job for this part of the country is still £1.5K more than what I am on now. I am going to use my size tens thanks to Conor to fight for whats required. A PAY RISE!!

Thank You all again for your wonderful advice!!:A
    Dirty Cash- DEBT BATTLER:mad:
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Best of luck, I do hope you get what you want.

If you don't, then you seriously need to start looking for another job. The comment that you overheard does appear to indicate that they do not necessarily feel that the job you do would attract more pay. Do remember that usually a pay rise is not about your talent, skills or abilities, it's about how employers rate the value to the company of the actual job you do, or the need for stability in the role, or your capacity for promotionversus and the pain and expense of training a new person to do it. If you don't get a pay rise it's not YOU that's being undervalued, it's simply your job role.
  • mstar
    mstar Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    mstar wrote: »
    i follow up to a issue on this can you have a right to ask for why i havn't been given a pay rise (against there criteria)? as i have been overlooked but i would like to know the reason why so i can either retify the issue or see how i can improve?

Does anyone offer me any advice on my issue related to this thread? I been overlooked for a pay rise just want to know why/how they concluded i am not getting one (even though its been 2 years on same pay and cost of living has risen as we know)
  • HappyG1rl
    HappyG1rl Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    mstar - unless it states in your contract that you will get a cost of living rise, I understand that pay rises are discretionary.

What do you mean when you say it is against their criteria?

Suggest you start a new thread as others may not be looking on here if they've already read dirty cash's and think they can't contibute help.
    I'll never be a Money Saving Expert while my kids are Mony Spending Experts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure