We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Food recommendations from Marks and Spencer please

13»

Comments

  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Same 'problem' here,xxDee, £125 gift card from switching banks.
    Appalled at the high prices, so bought mainly tinned ham, fish, other meat and a couple of gammon. A half day bus ride away, loaded down, so need to go again.
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,586
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If your M&S has an in-store bakery, go half an hour before closing. They massively reduce what is left and everything freezes well.
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,459
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Same 'problem' here,xxDee, £125 gift card from switching banks.
    Appalled at the high prices, so bought mainly tinned ham, fish, other meat and a couple of gammon. A half day bus ride away, loaded down, so need to go again.



    Why don't you use your Gift Card online? At the moment lots of M&S reductions. HTH
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,471
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I always get the 3 for £10 on meats, went today actually and got 2 salmon fillets (normally get them), southern fried chicken fillets and steak. The beef mince is good too.


    I like a lot of things in Marks & Spencers but doing Slimming World theres not a lot I buy now.


    The pizzas are a distant memory now but I do remember thinking that they were so much nicer than Dominoes / Pizza Hut.


    You can't go wrong with the meal deal when they are on - I don't drink wine that frequently anymore so I try not to get them.


    Other things I like are


    The extra lean ham / corned beef slices
    Melt in the Middle Fish Cakes
    Tuna Pate
    The beef lasagne is great as is the cottage pie
    The Cocquille St Jacques are amazing for a treat
    The Paella paste (in a jar)
    The Madras Sauce & Mini Naans & Indian Grab Bag are great quality and good value too
    The Crisps are amazing!


    All depends on personal choice I guess but if my budget and waist line allowed it I would do the bulk of my shopping in M&S
  • Check out the chiller section for:
    Shepherds/cottage pie in various sizes
    the freezer section for fish/potato items
    desserts - the fruit crumbles, lemon tarts and custard are great

    any offers on tinned curry/steak are good quality.

    Chinese new year soon - always good offers on chinese meal deal.

    You can also buy wine/flowers with the £5 off £25 January vouchers.
    04.06.12 no debt:beer:
    Now house deposit saving £24,000 and rising:T thanks to 2x Barclays PPI successes
  • _Emma_
    _Emma_ Posts: 16 Forumite
    I love their salt and peppar combo (crisps)!

    Also, fan of the 3 for 10 and their ready meals, like soup with kale and beans and their "italian range pasta".
  • 3 for £10 on meat sounds good. I have some vouchers too.
    Jan 2015 £11,000/£11,000

    Not buying it 2015
  • VeGGie-STyLe
    VeGGie-STyLe Posts: 161
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 February 2015 at 6:29PM
    I know I'm 479355 years late in contributing to this thread, and you've probably used the vouchers by now, and it totally depends on personal preference, but things I specifically go to M&S for are:

    - 3 for £10 on fresh fish/meat (usually salmon, hake and chicken breasts)
    - 3 for £10 on cooked fish (usually chargrilled calamari, tandoori prawns and maple/chilli salmon fillets)
    - Bramley apple cooking sauce
    - Almond biscuits
    - Mini flapjack tubs (2 for £4)
    - Lemons (similar price to other shops, but twice the size and much jucier)
    - Purple broccoli and flower sprouts
    - PERCY PIGS!!!!! and Reversy Percy's.
    - Apple turnovers (fresh bakery section)
    - Prawn cottage cheese
    - Sandwiches & pasta salad tub things
    - Reduced items. When they reduce things at the end of the day, they are very generous with the reductions, unlike some other supermarkets.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.