Train Travel: starting short (NOT breaking journey)

Options
Ticket from Winchester to London is £22. Ticket from Bournemouth to London (calling at Winchester) is £7.50 (at certain times). Can I buy the Bournemouth-London ticket but start my journey at Winchester - ie, will the ticket barriers at Winch let me through and, even if they don't, should I still be allowed through by the attendant?

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 January 2015 at 9:05AM
    Options
    Ticket from Winchester to London is £22. Ticket from Bournemouth to London (calling at Winchester) is £7.50 (at certain times). Can I buy the Bournemouth-London ticket but start my journey at Winchester - ie, will the ticket barriers at Winch let me through and, even if they don't, should I still be allowed through by the attendant?

Definitely not - that particular ticket is only valid to get on at Bournemouth and get off at Waterloo

And I'm sure a Winchester London ticket is more than you say but that's an aside
  • abright8190
    Options
    Hello, dzug

Thanks for the swift reply.

£22 (or thereabouts) is with someone else travelling with a Two Together card.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the ticket type 'Advance'?

This ticket type prohibits break of journey. The Train Companies consider starting and/or finishing short to be barred if break of journey is barred.
  • jkdd77
    jkdd77 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For what it's worth, the OP could make a small saving by buying discounted CDR tickets from Winchester to Basingstoke, and then separate SCO (or CDR, if necessary) tickets from Basingstoke to London.

However, the train(s) would then need to stop at Basingstoke in both directions, and not all do.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,335 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Simple solution: buy the cheap ticket from Bournemouth to London, and also buy the very cheapest ticket for a journey from Winchester that is valid at the time of travel. Use the ticket valid from Winchester to get through the barrier... once you have boarded the train to London that has come from Bournemouth and called at Winchester there will be no trace of anything irregular. Of course, if that train is cancelled you lose everything...
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Simple solution: buy the cheap ticket from Bournemouth to London, and also buy the very cheapest ticket for a journey from Winchester that is valid at the time of travel. Use the ticket valid from Winchester to get through the barrier... once you have boarded the train to London that has come from Bournemouth and called at Winchester there will be no trace of anything irregular. Of course, if that train is cancelled you lose everything...

And of course, if the train manager sees you board his train at Winchester, then you also lose everything.
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Hi, you don't mind me asking how you get the Bm'th to London ticket for £7.50 ?
  • wealdroam
    Options
    armyknife wrote: »
    Hi, you don't mind me asking how you get the Bm'th to London ticket for £7.50 ?

The OP did mention a railcard.

With a railcard, Advance Singles from Bournemouth to Waterloo are available for early next week onwards at £7.25 per person.

Buy at your favourite ticket office or online from any seller.
  • timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    Rule of thumb is - is the company running the service being disadvantaged by you using a cheaper ticket unrepresentative of the journey being made?

The answer is of course, yes.

Since any correct fare is appreciably higher by using such a ticket with the intent of not paying the correct fare you are committing fraud.

Why not jump in the car and then get on the train at Bournemouth it's only 40 miles.
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    timbo58 wrote: »
    Why not jump in the car and then get on the train at Bournemouth it's only 40 miles.
    Also might be worth looking at going by train from Winchester to Bournemouth. Advance Singles for that can be had from £1.70 with a railcard.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure