PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help, pork hock

Good morning all

Well I'm a bit of a banana:o I went to the butchers yesterday to get some gammon for my DH's treat meal tonight and I ended up getting pork hock( I got a little confused)

I've looked through the recipe index and I can't find a recipe for them. My DH is so awkward and a typical meat and veg man who'll not try anything new :( can I cook it in the slowcooker/ low oven/ remoska and treated it like brisket and have it like a roast dinner? Any suggestions would be great fully received.

Many thanks

Emma
OS Grocery Challenge
August £250/ £103.44 left

Comments

• I cook mine in a covered roasting tin with just a drop of water in the bottom, in a low oven Gas 2 Elec 140/150 for three to four hours.

There's a lot of fat on them and I lift it all off before serving, when it has done a good job of basting the meat which is very succulent.

Enjoy. But don't tell too many people about this or pork hocks will go up even more in price. I used to buy them for pennies when no-one wanted them but they seem to be much more popular now.

Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • Jackop
    Jackop Posts: 150 Forumite
    Try looking up Ham Hock, there's plenty of recipes that you could do.

I have only heard of ham hock, so I don't know if pork hock is exactly the same but I cant see it being too different.

They are ugly looking things though, if your OH is fussy I would slow cook it until it pulls, then shred the meat off and dress it like a normal roast.
    Borrowed - £148000 June 2013
    Original MF Date - May 2038
    Aiming For - March 2031 (At Latest!)
    Overpaid - £490.00
    Daily Interest - [STRIKE]£18.16[/STRIKE] £18.09
  • empy
    empy Posts: 325 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thank you both so much for the advice :) bellaquidsin, they're not cheap anymore, I paid £4.50 each for mine :(
    OS Grocery Challenge
  • empy wrote: »
    Thank you both so much for the advice :) bellaquidsin, they're not cheap anymore, I paid £4.50 each for mine :(

Wow, my husband sells them for £2.00 to £2.99 in his shop. If you have more than one butcher, it's definitely worth checking them all out. There is a butcher not far from us who sells nearly all his meat for 25-75% more than we do - and at least 100% more for Xmas- he classes himself as 'elite' and has a true snob following but he gets his stuff from the exact same suppliers that we use. There is no difference in the meat whatsoever.

We often have a giggle when one of his customers comes in and is shocked at our prices. They often become our customers after that.
    :happylove
  • empy
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thistle down- it was not my usual butchers and was one like you describe, it is a posh, royal warranted shop :-/ I usually use a farm shop that butchers and sells it's only meat for a reasonable price! Sadly I didn't have time to visit it yesterday. I only usually use this particular butchers for bulk purchase of their famous and rather amazing sausages ;)
    OS Grocery Challenge
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    I also have a pork hock in the freezer that i must use - could slow cook it in something like cider or coke?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• The pork hock should slow cook a treat!

I wouldn't use it like a roast....but would slow cook it with dried split peas. The meat will slow cook to a mouthwatering flakiness - and combined with the split peas you will have the most amazing pea and ham soup!....main meal type of soup!

(It has always been a family favourite...I could eat a bowlful right now!)
  • Nigella Lawson does a recipe with pork hocks.
    She braises them with a light beer (I think) apples an onions. So that the meat is really juicy but the crackling is crisp.
    If you type in nigella pork hocks you should bring it up in a search engine.
    I've done it a couple of times & it is delicious.
    Jen
  • Thistle-down
    Thistle-down Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 31 December 2014 at 3:26PM
    empy wrote: »
    Thistle down- it was not my usual butchers and was one like you describe, it is a posh, royal warranted shop :-/ I usually use a farm shop that butchers and sells it's only meat for a reasonable price! Sadly I didn't have time to visit it yesterday. I only usually use this particular butchers for bulk purchase of their famous and rather amazing sausages ;)

Good Lord, it's not in B****n, is it?
    :happylove
  • empy
    Debt-free and Proud!
    No Thistle down, it's in Newmarket :)
    OS Grocery Challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories