4 months to clear a secret overdraft

Hello,

I am starting my own diary today. I hope it will help me deal with a secret (from my hubby) overdraft of £ 800.00. I have been ignoring this problem for too long and my husband would be mad if I tell him I have been so careless so I have to do it on my own.

It is a very small amount but I am z stay at home mum and I don't have almost any income. On the plus side, I have almost no expenses either.

I am going to face the raw figures on the 01.01.2015 and will come up with some reasonable plan.

Replies

• bouboumumbouboumum Forumite
    98 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I checked my bank account first time this morning and my debt on the 01.01 is £ 775.26.

Some months I work once a month and I have about £ 80 income from that work.
    I receive about £ 80 in child benefits a month.
    I am determined to earn at least £ 80 online.

So if I manage to get work and I am doing well with my surveys I will be able to bag £ 240 a month.

Since I have almost no expenses £ 200 can easily go towards paying the overdraft.

I hope with the help of this diary by the end of April do be on top of my secret overdraft!
  • takingcontrolatlasttakingcontrolatlast Forumite
    714 Posts
    Forumite
    hi there, i too have kept secrets from my OH so i know where you are coming from, though it would be better for you if you can share the burden (though scary) - but i understand totally if you want to sort it yourself. Im a newbie and just starting my debt free goals so i dont feel an expert on giving advice except that there is lots of advice on this site and debt free challenges that may help you save a little towards the debt such as POD, (see DFW challenges). Can you sell anything on ebay or do you have craft such as knitting that you can sell items you make - every little helps. good luck
  • edited 8 January 2015 at 4:18PM
    bouboumumbouboumum Forumite
    98 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 8 January 2015 at 4:18PM
    Thank you so much for visiting my diary and encouraging me! Maybe we have to make a wives-in-secret-debt club... or not! :-)

I feel for now that my debt is small enough to save myself from a massive raw. My husband is one of those people who doesn't put foot wrong in life and gets mad when other people do.
    Still it is significant enough to worry me. I gave myself to April and if I don't pay it off or come pretty close to paying, I have to come clear in front of him.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to sell as we live clutter free (we both hate clutter) and no... I am not really one for crafts. But I will be checking what DFS challenge is...

Good luck with your debt and thanks again for popping in!
  • Brightspark87Brightspark87 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi just to say well done on getting started and you will sort this. Yes you might not have much income but you can earn more (surveys, market research etc) and get rid of this !! well done

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
    98 Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you Brightspark! Debt is such a depressing thing, together with extra weight... I am tackling both together this year. It is really tough but not impossible. Good luck with your debt too!
  • stoplurkingstoplurking Forumite
    383 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi Bouboumum

Just wanted to wish you luck in your quest to get rid of the overdraft. Sorry you have to keep it a secret.

What you say in post 4 about husband never putting a foot wrong- I think judging others so harshly is putting a very big foot wrong in life so maybe he should pop down off his pedestal now and then.
    MFIT -T5 #42
  • Hi there
    just dropping by to say that I also live with secret debt. I did coffee to my 'oh' a couple of years ago and he just got angry and told me to deal with it, so I've not bothered this time. My debt has been through frittering and bad habits, which I'm now tackling. Good luck paying it off so quickly X
    1% challenge - /100%
    NSD Jan 7/15
    Weight to lose - 6lb/29lb
    Learning from the past but focusing on the future :j
  • Brightspark87Brightspark87 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    bouboumum wrote: »
    Thank you Brightspark! Debt is such a depressing thing, together with extra weight... I am tackling both together this year. It is really tough but not impossible. Good luck with your debt too!

yes its tough but I am finding it almost goes hand in hand? like one helps the other. Good luck! x

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
    98 Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you girls!!!

Kind of glad that I am not alone in my secret debt. But really it is not a good thing so hopefully we both will be able do deal with it.

And yes indeed, my hubby is VERY judgemental but he thinks people make excuses for their bad behaviour. Sometimes I think he is right, sometimes I wish he was a bit more understanding.

Good luck, I am feeling positive today!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals