Mortgages and Relocating

Options
Hi, I have a mortgage and want to sell up and move to another part of the country. I want to avoid renting but would I be considered for a mortgage based on my current salary? Or would I have to rent being that I would have to find a new job in the new area? I am a single parent with a good amount of maintenance which has been paid without default for years and will continue to be paid for at least another eight years. I know some lenders take this into account. I've also been employed all my adult life and I have a good credit rating. I would need to move to the area in question as its too far away to travel for interviews. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Single mum since 2007.

Comments

• ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are going to be giving up your current job when you move, without another job to go to immediately, then you won't get a mortgage.
    :p
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to find secure employment in the new locality. This may well influence where you decide to buy as well. Renting enables you to find your feet while you settle in.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Carts and horses Jill.

If you are leaving your current job, which you are if it is obvious you cannot commute, then the lender will want to see a new job offer in the new area as a minimum before they will lend.

This scenario is packed with complications as different lenders accept applications and release funds at different times when you are taking a new job. This is a job for a mortgage broker.

Six months renting solves the issue if you get a job during that period.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure