Should I transfer my Zurich pension plan?

makerfieldmakerfield Forumite
6 Posts
Hello. I am a newby and could with some advice on what to do with my current pension. I am 58 years old, a Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic and my selected retirement age in the pension plan is 60 years (June 2016). My knowledge of pensions is poor, hence this post.

I took out a pension with Allied Dunbar (now Zurich) back in 1993 and have continued paying into this plan to date. The plan invests in the following funds and a review letter in January 2014 states their respective values;

• Accumulation Managed 3/4 AP - £80,648.15
  • Capital Managed 3/4 AP - £9,414.74
In January 2014, the total value of the pot was £90,062.89 and the transfer value was £88,773.07, the difference being the fees chargeable.

I have made a call to Zurich today and they tell me the total value is now £98,871.91 and the transfer value is £98,041.01

With regard to benefits of the plan, the only one stated on the original policy is "Full returns of funds" and I am not sure what this means.

I am also not sure about the new legislation now in place so my questions are as follows;
  1. Can I draw down 25% of the fund in June 2016 (tax free when I turn 60) and transfer the remainder into a new pension plan (possibly a SIPP) to avoid buying an annuity?
  2. After the first tax-free 25% draw-down, would the current plan allow further draw-downs (taxable) each year or would I be forced to transfer to another plan to make this happen?
  3. What is the likely cost of the transfer from a new provider?
  4. What is the difference between the Accumulation and Capital units?
  5. I am considering putting an immediate stop to my monthly contributions and making the pension "paid up". Would this be a wise decision?
I know that this old Allied Dunbar pension has not performed well due high charges. Having read a few posts in the forum about Allied Dunbar, there is little I can do as the cost of a transfer to a new provider is likely to be high (I assume approx. 5%) and this cost is unlikely to be recovered by a better performing fund, despite the lower charges.

I am married, self-employed and presently in work. My wife is unemployed and unless my health deteriorates, I do not aim to retire until I am 65 or so.

Any advice given will be much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals