Options
13»

Comments

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    The reply was to EricMears who has the Siemens meter that is well known for displaying the sum of the import & export.

I would assume, unless you know better, that you'd need to be made aware of any potential charges before a meter was changed.
    I share the view that our Siemens meter is doing what the suppliers expect it to and that (having checked it very carefully) I can offer no evidence that by that standard it can be regarded as faulty.

It's a bit annoying that it's behaving as it does but I've got a 'Plan B' for improving my monitoring - albeit that I haven't actually done very much about it yet.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,074 Forumite
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    I share the view that our Siemens meter is doing what the suppliers expect it to and that (having checked it very carefully) I can offer no evidence that by that standard it can be regarded as faulty.

It's a bit annoying that it's behaving as it does but I've got a 'Plan B' for improving my monitoring - albeit that I haven't actually done very much about it yet.

I was probably fortunate in that mine was set up to display the sum of import & export. As soon as I realised what was happening it became a challenge to use all the surplus energy to prevent any export. It's a lot more difficult than it sounds!

Do you know when you're likely to get a smart meter because that could solve the problem?
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The reply was to EricMears who has the Siemens meter that is well known for displaying the sum of the import & export.

I would assume, unless you know better, that you'd need to be made aware of any potential charges before a meter was changed.

Hi

No, there's obviously a little confusion here, and it's not this end ... the reply was definitely made to Andy_WSM in the following post ....
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    My import meter flashes in both directions, it's an Ampy. I've been suspicious that it's counted export as import before, but i've monitored it several times and can't catch it in the act.

I have asked to have it changed, but as it's only 4 years old they won't hear of it.
    Just tell them that you think it's recording export as import so they're obliged to change it.

Meters display import/export differently depending on how they were initially programmed. Your electricity supplier won't have any idea what the settings are.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,074 Forumite
    Options
    It appears that I have indeed made the assumption that Andy's Ampy has a similar problem to the Siemens I was discussing with Eric. I apologise profusely for any misunderstanding that I may have caused.

Anyway, there were no checks made or any suggestion of a charge when I asked for my Siemens S2AM to be changed. It took a week from the initial contact to replacement.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I probably confused the discussion by throwing my meter into the melting pot.

I'm 90% certain it never clocks export, but I still hold suspicions it HAS done.

It's also the only meter of it's type I have seen that doesn't have a steady red light when export and / or display the "RED" (Reverse energy detection) status on the display.

Not to worry, I don't export very much at all anyway as I dump excess into underfloor heating (then the water tank if the floor has taken all it can without overheating the living areas), which saves me £s paying for electric to heat the house at some point anyway. (No gas, so I don't feel my use is ethically or morally wrong).
  • GreenBo
    GreenBo Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2015 at 4:55PM
    Options
    I had the same problem with my old Owl in that it only showed the import of the home and didn't account for the solar export. Data looked really weird on a sunny day and could completely mask the energy consumption within my home. I hoped the installation of a smart meter by my utility last year would give me what I wanted i.e. a graph of my home energy consumption and a graph of my solar production all in one simple web-portal. But sadly that didn't work out either :mad: , although the smart meter (EDMI) was able to meter import/export separately my suppliers web-portal (First Utility) hasn't yet caught up with the solar revolution and can't display the solar data (GRRR! - I know, should've checked that first!). So I gave up with utilities and took things into my own hands and bought a Smappee energy monitor which allowed me to clip a sensor on the feed from the invertors (picking up the solar) and to the home. So now I can see everything, including the energy consumption of all my appliances within the home, which BTW.... does anyone know the address for Mr S Claus, I want to send him a billing for all these Chistmas lights I had to put up :D Bah humbug :p

The biggest savings I achieved so far was from having the visibility of the energy consumption of the appliances in my home so you are right to start going down that road with getting a view on things like the tumble dryer, etc Fridge freezer was a shocker for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure