References etiquette

Options
Hi,
So I've been offered a role, and the offer is 'subject to receipt of satisfactory references' although no amount or format is stated.

Am I supposed to provide written references or just contact details of previous employers/lecturers.

Do I ask them to send a written one to me and I forward it onto my future employer or just send a list of references with contact details?

Also, wondering when references are checked upon in general, could it be after I have started? As it's Christmas period and I'm starting soon.

This is for a small finance company.

Thank you in in advance for any help

Comments

• ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You would usually be required to provide contact details for referees and then your new employer would contact them for the reference.

They would normally be checked before you start although I have started a job before when the references had yet not been received. Luckily they came back OK.
    :p
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,327 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You ask your previous employers and lecturers if they are willing to provide a reference then pass on their contact details to the new employer. (So the new employer can be confident you aren't forging the things!) Some employers do make the checks rather slowly - if this is the case they are often just using the reference to check you didn't lie in your application rather than for a more nuanced reference as they have already invested a lot in having you start.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    The norm is to provide contact details.

Despite the request for reference details they are not always taken up. A few people have put me down as a reference for various jobs they've applied for but only 3 times have I actually been asked to give one. Twice was using a basic form and once was a telephone call.

The desire is generally to get references done prior to you starting but given start dates are normally set before references are taken then it can be that they come in after you have started unless the company is exceptionally strict about these things.

I've only twice known there to be any issues with references, the first was a call centre agent who got pulled out of training after 2-3 weeks and we never saw him again but HR advised it was due to the references they'd received. The second was with a bank where the candidate couldnt evidence their 9 month backpacking trip around India to HRs satisfaction but we eventually managed to work around that one and get her in but her start date was delayed by about a month
  • db141414
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Another question, I've been with a firm on temporary basis for over 3 years now, although these roles were not listed on my CV as it wasn't relevant to the role I've been offered, would it be OK to use someone there as a referee?

I'm only considering this as I've been unable to get hold of my previous manager, would it be worth getting a reference from someone else (same seniority) in the same company, though I did not work in their department.

Thanks
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Most companies of any size will have a HR department and it will be they that do all references even if they are sent to a former manager etc (unless you come to some agreement with the manager to break protocol)

Companies generally will want your most recent employer and at least one other, the fact you didnt put it on your CV may raise some questions but if the gap in employment didnt come up at interview it may not.

Were you actually employed by the company, given you say you were a temp, or were you employed by a job agency/ umbrella?
  • db141414
    Options
    I'm certain they don't have a HR department, Employed by the company on zero hour contract, so they'd send me out on various "projects".

So would you recommend me trying to go for someone else in my previous company who may not know me as well or go for the one not on my CV but will definitely get a decent reference from?

Thanks
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,327 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would incline towards going to the previous company, even if it is only someone in HR/ company admin who confirms that you worked there. But explain to your new company's HR that you couldn't get hold of the previous manager and will they be able to get all they need from a reference from someone who didn't work closely with you.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    db141414 wrote: »
    I'm certain they don't have a HR department, Employed by the company on zero hour contract, so they'd send me out on various "projects".

So would you recommend me trying to go for someone else in my previous company who may not know me as well or go for the one not on my CV but will definitely get a decent reference from?

Thanks

Its not uncommon for people not to keep in contact with their ex bosses and so they have no idea if their boss of 3 years ago still works for the same company or not etc.

Your new employers will be well aware of these types of issues and will deal with it appropriately. Given HR normally does all references then often the letter isnt addressed to the manager in question but HR or "referencing department" etc. That or they do use the managers name assuming that if they have left the company will pass it to an appropriate person.

Dont over worry about these kinds of details, the world of business has dealt with these types of issues for decades without falling apart. If they have any issues getting a response then they may come back to you for some assistance but that is exceptionally rare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure