PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New Ideas for dried peas

Options
Has anyone a tasty recipe for dried peas? I have just put a whole packet ,that has been languishing in my cupboard, to soak overnight.I intend to use the protein to eke out a tiny piece of gammon.I also have a rather dried up rasher of bacon.I have plenty of veg in the fridge, do not want to shop this week, apart from milk.

Comments

• zaxdog
    zaxdog Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When they are soaked, add some stock and simmer or chuck them in the slow cooker, a pinch of salt, good twist of black pepper and stir through the diced gammon and hey presto a yummy filling soup :)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How about pea and ham soup - soak peas overnight then rinse.

Chop a large onion and dice about two large carrots and a large potato. Saute onions in oil or butter, add carrots and potato then a stock cube (ham if you have it) and water and diced leftover ham or bacon and simmer for an hour. You can remove some of it and blend it then add back to the pan and it is ready to eat.

You could soak the peas overnight then rinse and cook and add to mashed potato and chopped cooked onion and seasonings - cool and shape into balls and flatten and have as fritters or veggie cakes in a bun.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Put them in with the rice for a curry?
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Add a packet of basics stuffing and 100g red lentils and simmer for an hour. You can then make a really nice lentil meat loaf. It will slice with salad or grill slices topped with cheese.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    Add a packet of basics stuffing and 100g red lentils and simmer for an hour. You can then make a really nice lentil meat loaf. It will slice with salad or grill slices topped with cheese.

Thanx hun, I will try that x
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills