Strapless heart rate monitor watch needed pls.

Options
Hi

Hubby has recently bought a treadmill and would like a heart rate monitor. I have searched the web but can't find exactly what he is looking for so don't know if they exist!! He wants a watch that has a HRM built in so no chest strap. The ones I have found require you to put 2 fingers on the watch face to activate the monitor, hubby wants one without this feature.

Does a watch exist that measures heart rate purely through the watch strap or back of the face??

Thanks all for your help.

Comments

• donteatthat
    donteatthat Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think it is possible to have continuous heart rate monitoring without something to pick up the heart rate which is what the strap does.

You can have non-continuous monitoring with watches where you put your fingers on it, but in order for continuous monitoring there needs to be a pulse that is being read constantly.

I think what you are looking for would be useful though- I find the strap very restrictive when I'm out of breath. I'll pop back and see if anyone has found one!
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are usually right.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for replying.

We were hoping that maybe a watch exists that monitors heart rate through the back of the watch or something built into the wrist strap but I don't think that exists. I think he will have to compromise on his wants/needs :D
  • Neil_Campbell
    Options
    I noticed you were looking for information about a strapless heart rate monitor watch. Hopefully you have found what you needed. If not you can check out my [FONT=&quot]strapless heart rate monitor watch blog. There are some articles there about heart rate monitors and HRM training.

Aye

Neil
    [/FONT]
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I didn't think such a beast existed! Thanks Neil.

Why does he particularly want a strap free one?

The more basic Polar HRMs are pretty cheap (About £35 I think) and do the basics well.

To run on a treadmill, and then stop or slow right down to take your heart rate, and then speed up again would get a bit annoying. To try and balance two fingers on the strapless one, and read it, without slowing down, is the quick route to casualty!

Plus - the straps for the ordinary HRMs are generally picked up by the monitoring devices on most treadmills. Certainly at most gyms, so it would feed directly into the computer on the treadmill as well as the wrist monitor.

I would forget the all in one watch/HRM and look at basic stand alone HRMs with straps. (They do tell the time as well, but aren't always the most stylish thing to wear for day to day timekeeping!)

HRMs detect electrical activity rather than pulse - and to do this accurately, a sensor near the heart is the most convienient and accurate method.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure