minecraft update help xbox 360

sorry this is probably a silly question but I have not idea how this works and need someone to explain in simple language :o

My seven year old keeps asking for the minecraft update (apparently you can play in stampy's world in the tutorial).

He has minecraft on a disc for the xbox 360, is it even possible to update a disc or will I need to purchase a new disc to get this new version?

If I can update the disc I assume I will have to connect the xbox to the internet can I do this without have to pay a subscription?. His xbox isn't connected as I don't want him to be able to play online (at his age). If I do connect just to update (if possible) can I then disconnect it again and the disc will be updated or will he need to play via the internet in future.

Thanks

Comments

• bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    You can update the game without being a subcriber & ultimately should be done on a regular basis for all games - if for nothing else than to fix bugs & glitches. You will not need to play via the internet, it is impossible to do so without being an Xbox Live member, for which you'd need to pay a subcription. Not sure what the deal with Stampy's world is, but the game is community based so it wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility.

But please do take an hour to educate yourself on the ins & outs of gaming, I know it sounds judgemental, but if you're allowing your children to engage with such a world the least you should be able to do is to understand how it works.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks you are not being judgemental at all, you are complete right I have no idea about how gaming works which is the main reason I haven't connected the Xbox to the internet as I don't know how to keep him safe if I connected it.

I had no idea that games needed updating I just thought that you purchased the disc and that was it :o

Can anyone recommend a site I can read for dummies like me which explains things in simple terms, whenever I google about gaming issues it brings up sites/forums where everyone knows the basics and seem to be talking a different language :o
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Microsoft's own site will have places for things like that - in a few cases it'll show you step by step various things which you'll find useful. For example it'll show you how you can set up parental controls to limit time & content in a painless & simple manner.

Games will need almost constant updating, they're a bit like Windows, for the most part it'll work, but it rarely goes long before someone realises there's something wrong. If it makes you feel any better the worst offender is actually PS3, every damn time I switch mine on I'm stuck for 5 minutes downloading updates - frustrating!

If all else fails, YouTube will also have many videos showing you various things, you can pause those while you catch up if needed - but it might be worthwhile watching those with a cuppa, cos it might start to fry anyones brain very quickly.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure