MoneySaving Poll: What's your favourite Christmas song?

Options

Comments

• mushtiff
    Options
    Adding my vote for Greg Lake, Joni Mitchell "I wish I had a river". Equalling Fairytale of New York for me is Tim Minchin's White wine in the sun. I know it's too atheistic for some, but it says everything about being with family, and missing them.
  • FlyingDutchman
    Options
    SeanMcD wrote: »
    What about Johnny Mathis - "When a Child is Born"?

Good call! I'd forgotten about that one! :o
    Life's what you make it....

"I've got one, two, three, [STRIKE]four[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]five[/STRIKE]... senses working overtime..", XTC. :sad:

Life beyond voluntary work scares me, but what else is there? :cry:
  • FlyingDutchman
    Options
    Must respectfully disagree - Eartha Kitt's Santa Baby has a much more sultry raunch than Madonna, who is a *known* Material Girl. Eartha manages to convince you she's really offering something...

Haha! It was just an excuse to get Madonna's name on the list, as she doesn't have a Xmas song. :p:D

The album it appeared on (A Very Special Christmas) was for a very good cause though (Special Olympics) so she can be forgiven for her lack of sultriness.
    Life's what you make it....

"I've got one, two, three, [STRIKE]four[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]five[/STRIKE]... senses working overtime..", XTC. :sad:

Life beyond voluntary work scares me, but what else is there? :cry:
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I have a Christmas compilation album and my favourite track is Chuck Berry's Merry Christmas baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd7cD4CviFU
  • luvsnail
    luvsnail Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 26 December 2014 at 11:28AM
    Options
    Would have liked to see Chris de Burgh's "A Spaceman Came Travelling" on that list - it's always been my favourite!

Back in 1994 I was 11 years old, and a huge East 17 fan. As much as I love "Stay Another Day" (along with the rest of the "Steam" album) it was not, is not, and never will be a Christmas song! Yes, it was Christmas number one in 1994 (despite having been released in November), but it has no references to Christmas whatsoever. The original music video was also devoid of any Christmas imagery (although a second video with wintry themes was later shot when it became apparent they could cash in on the Christmas singles market).

I don't know why, but it really bothers me when a great song from my childhood all of a sudden gets branded a "Christmas song" and then lumped in with all the other crap that gets played this time of year!
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's an entire album, but Nat King Cole's Christmas album is on almost constantly this time of year.
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Options
    Fairytale of New York just blows everything else out the water for me.

I utterly adore One More Sleep by Leona Lewis though and that isn't on the list.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • Flick216
    Flick216 Posts: 8,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In Dulci Jubilo.....not there

Gaudete......not there....

Bah Humbug!

And what a predictable winner!
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
  • Mishomeister
    Options
    Thanks God it's Christmas - Freddy Mercury would be my Nr 1
  • dazedandconfused_123
    Options
    I Believe In Father Christmas

Christmas is not Christmas without it!

Also agree The Darkness should be in the pole.
    Thanks to all posters for your never ending help and support
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family